Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Winter solutions?
    Just got my gas (heating) bill. The rates went up half-way through October. For two months the bill is about $100, with two weeks of it costing over $50! That means that the next bill will be at least $200.

I can have it averaged and spread out through the year. Saving extra money in the summer and collecting interest on it seems like a better plan though. My thermostat is set at 65 degrees and I wear a jacket all the time. The water heater is turned down. There are quilts over the windows. We have rooms that are closed off and not heated. What else can be done?:confused:

We'll be okay, I hope. A lot of people will not be able to pay their utility bills this winter. It will become a choice, food or warmth. What are your thoughts?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Make sure there are no drafts in the house, if so close them off.
    Wash your clothes in cold water.
    Snuggle with your loved ones.

The price of oil is dropping - hopefully that will start to be reflected in our heating bills.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 08:54 PM

Personally I think moving to California, or better yet, Hawaii is a good option. ;)

Seriously though, I know that things are bad. I live in Canada, and the temperatures in winter can be quite bad, we have no choice but to turn up the heat.

Getting the heating bill always hurts, and last year we had a few problems and were two weeks late with a payment, they actually sent someone to our home to shut us down. It was -30 celsius that day, we have kids, pets, the pipes would freeze, but they didn't care.

Money means more than people it seems. It's sickening.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    Just got my gas (heating) bill. The rates went up half-way through October. For two months the bill is about $100, with two weeks of it costing over $50! That means that the next bill will be at least $200.

I can have it averaged and spread out through the year. Saving extra money in the summer and collecting interest on it seems like a better plan though. My thermostat is set at 65 degrees and I wear a jacket all the time. The water heater is turned down. There are quilts over the windows. We have rooms that are closed off and not heated. What else can be done?:confused:

We'll be okay, I hope. A lot of people will not be able to pay their utility bills this winter. It will become a choice, food or warmth. What are your thoughts?
    I live in Oregon and I can "cry" with you. Our bill is always at least 300 dollars. I have started to go to work full time and the kids are at school all day. I am hoping to see a huge reduction in our bill. We have all lights, tvs, anything off... we are using only WOOD to heat the whole house. Oh man I hope it helps, I have really been trying hard to do laundry only a few day and less loads instead of every day and four loads. We have a big family and since I love clean kids and I love my baths, I stick the boys in the shower with my hubby cause they are young enough still... I take a shower, and my oldest son does too every day. My daughter, every other day. I can just say what ever you are not using, turn it off. The electric company told me to only go up to 67 degrees and not to turn it up and down all the time. I am not using it at all so hope it make a huge difference. I wish you a warn and low electric bill;) TURN IT OFF!! Even your microwave... if it will help.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 10:04 PM

I actually never turn on the heater, which is a bit bizarre as I get cold VERY easily. It could be 68, and I'm shivering.

I just have a space heater in my room, and I use an electric blanket that I turn on for 30 min before bed, then turn it off. It seems to suit me fine.

But then again, I live alone...

Have you thought about upgrading your windows to better your insulation? It's costly, but it pays off in the long run.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2008, 01:53 PM

Make sure you have caulked every window and used weather stripping insulation tape around the doors. Look for drafts using burning incense to help locate the drafts and then plug them up with silicone caulk. Keep the thermostat set around 65 all the time and you should save money. Buy a heating blanket and use it. Wear a robe and slippers. Wear sweaters. Sleep in pj's. Wash clothes in cold water. Take showers when possible. Don't wash the towels after every use. After all you just dried off a clean body with it once, why not re-use several times that week? I use these tips all the time and I pride myself when I get a low electric bill in the mail. Also, don't heat/cool an empty house while you are at work. Wait until you get home to turn up/down the thermostat or keep it at the same setting all the time. My setting in the summer is 78 and in the winter is 64. Draw the drapes in very hot or cold weather to keep heat in or out. Make sure your roof is properly fastened shingle wise or you could be losing heat through your leaky roof. Leaky heat wise but not leaky water wise that is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt solutions [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best solution to take in order to get out of debt?

Debt solutions [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best solution to take for debt?

Ppm solutions [ 0 Answers ]

What is the procedure to prepare ppm solutions?

Solutions [ 2 Answers ]

How would you prepare 1.00L of sodium carbonate from pure solid?

View more questions Search