Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ugenstugen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 07:36 PM
    AAV in Kitchen Sink causing slow draining.
    I have an older home and the sink in the kitchen does not have venting. I installed an AAV to the sink and it worked well for a month or so but now it is the problem. The AAV is now stopping water from draining. Not sure if this helps, but I have a dishwater hooked up as well. Even with the dishwasher isn't running the sink is still very slow draining. I took off the AAV and as soon as I did the pressure was released and the water drained immediately. Does anyone know why the AAV is causing this reserve effect?

Also, I'm thinking about installing a garage disposal and was wondering if by installing the disposal this would help with the problem. Will I still need the AAV if a garage disposal is installed?

Thanks for your help!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 05:13 AM

A plumbing question but it is more likely that the AAV is failing to do its job of letting air into the drain line, than one of stopping up the drain. You simply had the bad luck of getting a valve that failed prematurely. Replace.

Installing a disposal will not change the need for venting.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 05:30 PM

Yes it does sound like a failed AAV to me too. Take that one back to where you bought it and ask for a replacement. If they aren't helpful buy a new one. Put the old one in the box and return it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
    I took off the AAV and as soon as I did the pressure was released and the water drained immediately. Does anyone know why the AAV is causing this reserve effect?
    Also, I'm thinking about installing a garage disposal and was wondering if by installing the disposal this would help with the problem. Will I still need the AAV if a garage disposal is installed?
    You must have purchased a cheap AAV that's failed. Replace with a Studor Vent, (see image) or the equivalent.
    A garbage disposal will neither help or hurt your vent problem. Replace the AAV and your problems go bye-bye. Good luck, Tom
    howarda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 06:32 PM
    I have the same problem. When I removed my existing Studor Mini Vent my toilet flushed great, so I wnent to Lowe's and bought a new Studor Mini Vent. I still have the same problem. I guess thisd one could be bad out of the box, but it's a real pain crawling up through my attic to get to it. Am I chasing my tail here? Might there be something else going on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ANOTHER slow draining vessel sink(s) [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had 3 stone vessel sinks installed with grid drains. All three drain slowly while the faucet is running. As soon as I turn OFF the faucet or set it at little more than a trickle, the sink drains quickly. Bubbles seem to collect in the drain while the water is running causing the slow...

Slow draining bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have had a problem with my bathroom sink draining slowly for a long time. I just recenlty put in a new vanity and sink and changed the trap but I only ran a small electrician snake down the copper pipe to stack. I was wondering maybe I shoud use a bigger snake. My toilet and tub drain...

Kitchen Sink Slow Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a double sink in my kitchen. When the 1st sink is plugged and is full with water and I begin to use the 2nd sink the water starts to back up. When I pull the plug on the 1st. Sink a large air bubble surfaces and the water starts to flow better in the 2nd sink. Both sinks join into one pipe...

Vessel sink draining slow [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ongoing problem with a new vessel sink. Question is there a minimum length between the bottom of the sink and the P-Trap?

View more questions Search