Ask
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 06:36 PM
    NO I am not.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 05:24 PM

I went to school there. Just thought you might now some of the professors. Course I can't remember most of their names anyway, so I guess doesn't really matter. Good school, just wish I would have paid a little more attention to study instead of extra caricular activities. Probably would have saved me a lot of visits to the school of hard knocks.

Nov 7, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    I went to school there. Just thought you might now some of the professors. Course i can't remember most of thier names anyway, so i guess doesnt really matter. Good school, just wish i would have paid a little more attention to study instead of extra caricular activities. Probably would have saved me alot of visits to the school of hard knocks.
    While I do have some book work requirements for my recertification classes most of the time is devoted to hands on training. It is always more educational (fun) to actually work on equipment than it is to just read a book on it. Uniweld just sent me some new torch tips. They are not for sale as of yet but they wanted to get some opinions on how well they were liked. They were twist design and offer about 300 degrees more heat when used on Oxygen/Acetylene setups. They work great and the time spent with them was very educational especially since we had some new style rods to work with from Harris. I teach augratis (for free) just for the pleasure of it and to burn up some time since I have been retired. I also feel that I am giving something back to the industry that gave me so much in my life.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 04:56 PM

Always been a hands on guy myself, never did enjoy the book work. But part of the process I guess. I have learned more buy doing than reading( hence the school of hard knocks) I also have to take cec (continuing education classes) for my pluming license, also have to retest every three years for my med gas certification. I have heard rumors that eventually we will be required to take cec's for our refrigeration license(dont think it would be a bad thing with all the changes over the years) Actually went to school for refrigeration and air conditioning, got my foot in the door of a plumbing and heating company, and have pretty much widened my horizons. I mostly do plumbing, but also have to take care of med gas, and all residential heating a cooling service work. Ive got a lot to learn. I live in a relatively small town, so it pays to be able to do little of everything. I sometimes feel a little overwhelmed. Lot of sleepless nights. But I wouldn't change a thing.(except to someday own my own plumbing and heating company). Which would cause many, many more sleepless nights.

Nov 9, 2008, 06:27 PM
    HVAC/refrigeration recert classes are mandatory here. 30 hours every 3 years. If you miss the classes you have to take the long test all over and that can be difficult for some. They put your cert in suspension and you got to pay the fine plus the testing. OUCH.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 05:51 PM

Hope I didn't miss something in the mail. Does it vary from state to state? Like a said, I had heard rumors about recert classes in the future(here), mostly from my parts suppliers. But have never heard much more about it. I would be more than willing to take the classes, could be very helpful in the next few years for sure, with r-22 going the way of r-12 eventually. Speaking of r-22, if a guy had a whole lotta spare cash,(which I dont) I would definitely stock up on it right now. Could be lucrative someday.

Nov 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
    At one time there was a skid of R-12 sitting behind a locked cage in a section of my old building. I lease the rest out but kept just a small space. I am also sitting on some R-22 and still have a few pressurised jugs of R-11 for my own personal use just in case I might need it. An R-11 flush using the machine I have cleans up a dirty system right now. There are some new flushing agents out there but it is hard to beat R-11 with the proper flush machine.

BTW class requirements do vary but the 30 hour part is pretty much average for time. Some areas have no requirements since there is no enforcement.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 06:27 PM

R-11 must have been before my time. Sounds like a good thing to secretly have on hand.

I definitely live in a no enforcement area. I would prefer that it was more enforced, so that every and tom wouldn't be able to deal with regrigerants like its toy.

What happens if I move somewhere that requires the recirt, and I haven't been required to have them where I currently live. Will I have to retake the test, or start taking the classes once I move?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Nov 10, 2008, 07:03 PM

I think it all depends on the cert in question. As far as I know, the EPA cert doesn't require a recertification in any section of the country. I do know that NATE requires it.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 07:10 PM

Good, thanks for the info. I'm safe and legal.

Nov 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Yep on the NATE. I Procter for the testing.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 08:57 PM

Hvac, I answered a question from rocky21, told him that I was hoping he got some more help from some of the other guys on this site, hope you will check out his post and help him out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a furnace thermostat to manually operate the furnace fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have two wires connected to my furnace thermostat. There is a place labeled G on the thermostat. Can I simply run a wire from the G terminal on my thermostat to the terminal labeled G on my furnace fan relay to operate the fan separately?

York Stellar Furnace Heating up Furnace Room to 110 Degress? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a York Stellar Furnace in my newly purchased house. Furnace is 15 years old. Furnace is releasing hot air from front grills and heats up furnace room to 110 Degrees. I had a Bryant Furnace in another house and this never happened. All plenams and ducts are taped and sealed so the heat is...

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Furnace not heating the house. Damper on the furnace not opening. Motor then shuts. [ 4 Answers ]

My forced-air furnace is not working correctly. The gas works heating the air in the furnace, but When the motor starts the damper doesn't open and the Motor shut down. I need suggestions?:mad:

Comfortmaker Furnace Fan blows in line fuse and will not allow furnace to work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Comfortmaker Furnace (approximately 1998/99) and the fan will not turn on allow the furnace to heat. When I try to turn the furnace on it blows a 3 amp fuse at the blower motor. I removed the fuse and jumped it and all it will do is make a faint buzzing noise and not turn on. I can...

View more questions Search