Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speckleroo Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 12:38 PM
    No Income
    I really need help here. I'm 53 and out of work due to lay-offs. East Tn. And have clerical and data entry skills.
    Does anyone... please have any work-at-home solutions?
    Thank you in advance.
    SolutionsNow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speckleroo View Post
    I really need help here. I'm 53 and out of work due to lay-offs. East Tn. and have clerical and data entry skills.
    Does anyone.....please have any work-at-home solutions?
    Thank you in advance.
    I would suggest doing a search for "homeshoring" or "telecommuting."There are quite a number of companies who hire people to work from home. If you have a college education, there are even more through teaching and nonprofit work.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Start your own internet based business. Some ideas... Ebay, craft sales, consulting...

Nov 4, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoodhull View Post
    Start your own internet based business. Some ideas... Ebay, craft sales, consulting...
    Have you ever done any of the things you suggested?
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 01:39 PM
    I currently work out of my home. I am a full time event planner and wedding coordinator. I started this business a little over three years ago. I also do free lance restaurant consulting. This is done about 50% telecommuting and 50% site visits for as long as the specific jobs last.

I'm sure you know what you are good at and what your strenghths are. Work with that. Even if you don't make as much as you would like in the beginning, it's still better than the nothing that you are making now. It is also great to throw yourself into something that challenges you and that you enjoy.

Nov 4, 2008, 01:44 PM

I'm slooow. How does one get started? I would like to do at-home work for hospitals or something of that nature. I'm a very good typist. I just don't know how to start.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 01:58 PM
    First think about how you want to do this... Do you want to start a company? If so, what kind? An LLC, an S-Corp, etc. Read up on all the options and decide what makes the most sense for you from a tax stand point. You could also not form a company and work free lance. This is a risk from an insurance/lawsuit point of view. Also, potential clients might (although I don't know the answer in your field and city) take you more seriously as a company rather than an individual.

Once you have decided the best structure for yourself, move forward in creating it. The best advice I can give is BE ORGANIZED!

Once you are ready to handle clients, identify your target market. Is it hospitals that might need help with data entry? Or law firms? Or accounts? Research your competition in your area. See what they offer and figure out what you can do to stand out.

Then advertise and hope for the best. Cold call potential clients and try to set up appointments or ask if you can send them information. Advertise in local publications and on the internet. Create a website. When you get an inquiry, ask how they heard about you. This will help to determine what ad money is being well spent.

Believe in what you are selling! Hiring you for extra typing/data entry could be a real money saver for someone. They don't have to spend time and money on hiring, training, benefits and eventually unemployment when the work runs out.

Do not rope yourself into something too specific. You business will not always develop into your vision of it - but that is OK. I started thinking I would be primarily a corporate event and party planner, but now weddings are 50% of my business.

This is the basic formula. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have as you move forward.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 4, 2008, 02:04 PM

You could try Medical Billing Companies in your area, they need people to post payments, etc.

You might try free local training put on by church groups, etc. often the people putting on the training may need help in the business they are running and pick from the trainee pool.

Nov 4, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SolutionsNow View Post
    I would suggest doing a search for "homeshoring" or "telecommuting."There are quite a number of companies who hire people to work from home. If you have a college education, there are even more through teaching and nonprofit work.
    Have you done any of these things? How do you find one that is legitimate?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 02:04 AM

Hi, speckleroo!

You've already received some fine answers above! I would like to know what other types of skills and interests that you have, please?

Most of what I do for a living, I would consider to be home-based. However, they are all service oriented and fairly specialized things to do.

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2008, 03:38 AM

I was the paginator at a newspaper when I relocated and entered the world of data entry. I've done graphic arts and built ads. I love to paint and read. I type 80wpm.
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 03:49 AM

Thanks!

Is your resume all up to date? Do you also have examples of the work that you've done?

Nov 5, 2008, 04:05 AM

Yes I do. I've posted it all on several sites. Not much luck in East TN.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 05:02 AM

Is there a local newspaper around where you are that you could apply, or at least submit your information and examples of what you've done?

Just trying to narrow thing down here a bit...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculate Income Taxes on Income Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Income Statement Preparation I was provided the following information and would like to know how I can figure out the Income taxes (30% of income before taxes) Accounts Payable: 35,000 Accounts Receivable: 65,000 Advertising Expense: 15,000 Cash: 19,500 Supplies Expense: 46,000 Rent...

Double State income tax on the same personal income [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a query: I am planning to live in NJ but work in NY with a company incorporated in NJ. 1. What state taxes will I pay? 2. I have heard that both states will deduct personal income tax 3. Do I have to tell my employer something in advance to help reduce double taxation.

Wealth & Income Dispersion, Income Mobility, and Economic Injustice [ 20 Answers ]

There's a lot of trash being talked here and elsewhere these days about how income and wealth are distributed among the US populace, how these distributions are changing, what is causing these changes, and whether those changes are benign or malevolent. Beyond that lie the questions of whether,...

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

View more questions Search