Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anxious_RN Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Frozen dinners - good or bad
    I'm trying to find easy and quick dinner meals.. and I have heard that frozen lean dinners at Krogers and such are good ideas, but aren't they preserved with sodium which makes them not as good of a choice? Anyone know any quick easy healthy dinner meals if not? Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2008, 03:21 PM

If I were you I would cook and freeze my own "TV dinners". I do this and have great eating lunches all week long. If you make it yourself you control what sort of chemicals and preservatives go into your mouth. For instance, I make chicken breasts in the oven 5 or 6 at a time. Then I put the cooked chicken in individual plastic freezer containers with lids on. I put my veggies in other freezer containers. Then when I head out to work in the morning I can choose chicken and peas, etc. and heat it up in the microwave at work. This way I control the portions of my lunch as well and don't over eat.
    anxious_RN Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 03:28 PM

Wow, how come I didn't ever think of that? Hehe great thanks for that! I will def. start doing that, makes it much easier, and healthier!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 03:44 PM

Lately I've had chicken breasts marinated in mesquite sauce with rice every day for lunch. Yummm. I cook the whole bag of chicken breasts at once in the oven and the rice on the stove and put the rice and the chicken in one container and heat up. Then I dump onto a nice dinner plate and eat at my desk.
    Fuchsia Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Nov 15, 2008, 08:14 PM

You can also make soups which are easy to cook. Baked chicken and fish is also very easy to make. Also, stir frys are quick and easy to make too.
    melloboi23 Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2008, 08:31 PM

An addition to the soup idea go buy some ice cube trays and freeze your favorite home made soup in them then on busy nights just microwave however many ice cubes of soup you would like. If you really like the idea fill gallon freezer bags with soup and lay flat so you can stack large quantities of soup in your freezer.
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anxious_RN View Post
    I'm trying to find easy and quick dinner meals..and I have heard that frozen lean dinners at Krogers and such are good ideas, but aren't they preserved with sodium which makes them not as good of a choice? Anyone know any quick easy healthy dinner meals if not? Thanks!
    There are a lot of good frozen dinners these days. My favorite is Marie Callender's. They are wonderful, and average under $2.50 at WalMart stores that have a frozen food section. At other stores they average between $3.50 and $4.50 each, though they are sometimes on sale for $2 - $2.50 each.

If money is REALLY tight, Banquet makes edible frozen dinners, that average $1 each. They are not great, but they are edible.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    If I were you I would cook and freeze my own "TV dinners". I do this and have great eating lunches all week long. If you make it yourself you control what sort of chemicals and preservatives go into your mouth. For instance, I make chicken breasts in the oven 5 or 6 at a time. Then I put the cooked chicken in individual plastic freezer containers with lids on. I put my veggies in other freezer containers. Then when I head out to work in the morning I can choose chicken and peas, etc. and heat it up in the microwave at work. This way I control the portions of my lunch as well and don't over eat.

The amount of sodium (salt) in frozen dinners is over the top so this is a good idea indeed!

(Out of greenies.)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 08:28 AM

I agree make your own.
    Too many preservatives
    Besides what others have said I also will make a large pot of spaghetti sauce and freeze it in two or three containers.
    Then when I want some spaghetti or other pasta all I have to do is thaw it out and make the noodles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Ranger starter good, battery good What else? [ 36 Answers ]

I have a '92 Ranger that won't start it just clicks one time. I thought it was the starter but it is good. I changed the battery terminals and that fixed one problem now it clicks until you turn the key off. I can't figure it out any advise? Thanks.

Jazz shoes. Good or not good fit? [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a new pair of jazz shoes the other day for dance. My old jazz shoes were much cheaper (from payless) and fit on my feet just right. Now I just got capezio jazz shoes that are much nicer and have nicer leather and such. But they are tight is this normal? How should jazz shoes fit on your...

Favourite quick dinners [ 11 Answers ]

I'm sure everyone's been there, when you realise you eat the same four meals in rotation all the time. All my dinners are one of the following, chicken stir frys, breaded fish, thai curry or soup. Sometimes I just give up altogether and have cereal. I need some inspiration, I know I should...

Holiday dinners [ 8 Answers ]

I have relatives who frequently come to Thanksgiving + Xmas dinners each year. The questions is: Is it good manners or etiquette to bring (as an invited guest) your own tupperware containers to a dinner with the "assumption" that you will be filling them up and taking them back to your home to...

View more questions Search