Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Does God force people to come in?
    Apparently today's gospel lesson says so.:confused:
    Today's Gospel (Lk 14:15-24): One of those at the table said to Jesus, «Happy are those who eat at the banquet in the kingdom of God!». Jesus replied, «A man once gave a feast and invited many guests. When it was time for the feast he sent his servant to tell those he had invited to come, for everything was ready. But all alike began to make excuses. The first said: ‘Please excuse me. I must go and see the piece of land I have just bought’. Another said: ‘I am sorry, but I am on my way to try out the five yoke of oxen I have just bought’. Still another said, ‘How can I come when I have just married?’.

»The servant returned alone and reported this to his master. Upon hearing the account, the master of the house flew into a rage and ordered his servant: ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame’. The servant reported after a while: ‘Sir, your orders have been carried out, but there is still room’. The master said: ‘Go out to the highways and country lanes and force people to come in, to make sure my house is full. I tell you, none of those invited will have a morsel of my feast’».
    How do you understand this passage?
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 4, 2008, 11:02 AM

I like to think of the Old Testament, the excuses that were acceptable for not going into battle: has any man just gotten married? Just built a new house? Just planted an orchard? He didn't have to go, in case he should fall in battle and another man get to enjoy what was his. As well as anyone who felt afraid of fighting. Or like Lot's wife, who looked back at their old house as they were leaving. Any man who sets his hand to the plow but looks backward at his former life Jesus said was not worthy of entering the kingdom. God must be the most important thing for them, not their possessions.
    It was like these people didn't want to help God celebrate the New Covenant because that would somehow diminish the celebration of their own individual achievements.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 4, 2008, 11:06 AM

Well it read's like a child who doesn't want his medicine because it tastes bad but it might save their life and a parent forcing it down because it's good for them.

The interesting part of this is how do you force someone to eat at the banquet of God? In physical sense you could bring them, but what in the spiritual world would make them happy to eat at the banquet of God other than despair; which I don't think is the point here other than the first reference to those that are poor, crippled, blind or lame. The second group might have a more difficult time with being happy to be there if they were forced.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 01:21 PM
    wildandblue , Texas parent,
    Thanks for your answer.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Nov 4, 2008, 03:40 PM
    The ancient teaching on biblical parables has always been that we do not go beyond the point of that parable.

Otherwise we will have to teach "all" the world, including the church "made excuses" when called by the servants...

That God, "flies into a rage" when any person won't accept His invitation...

That anyone who has heard the invitation of God through His servants for the FIRST TIME must respond then, or is damned.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 07:21 PM
    revdrgade,
    Thanks for your answer.
    Fred
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 4, 2008, 09:38 PM

I think - and I may be wrong:

God wants to party [ feast, banquet, celebration ] with us. He went to all the trouble of sacrificing His only Son for us.

Can you imagine, spending a fortune on a party for a bunch of people, only for them to give you lame exscuses for not coming? That would piss me off!

Anyway, I don't think God wants an empty Heaven and a full Hell. And here is the twist - I would want all the cool people, the a list , the in or popular people in my party; but, to God, it does not seem to matter who we humans think are good, worthy, perfect, or religious enough, it is the acceptance of His invitation that matters. I don't know about the "force" part, but He wants a packed house. :)

And this is consistent with the theme of "blessed are the poor in spirit," " the last shall be first," the widows penny worth more than a rich man's fortune, etc...
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 09:50 PM
    inthebox
    Thanks for your answer.
    You made some very good points.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Nov 16, 2008, 06:09 PM

This is a pretty important banquet. God is the king, with all power and knowledge. He even created the guests, as well as died for their eternal existence.
    He demands his rightful place in our lives. The alternative is death:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

They perish and die. This is why god invites us, because he loves us and longs to save us. He can do this if we answer his invitation to repentance.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
    Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 08:33 PM
    cogs,
    I agree.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Net Force [ 1 Answers ]

A 5 kg ball has been thrown vertically upward. If we ignore the air resistance, what are the direction and size of the net force acting on the ball while it is traveling upward?

Force law [ 1 Answers ]

3 children tuuging rubber tube ,one exert force of 40 N , another force of 30 N, and a third a force of 50 N. What is the net horizontal force on the tube?

How much force [ 2 Answers ]

A 20 N constant horizontal force is applied to a 5 kg box. As a result, the box moves 10 m to the right. How much work is done by this force?

View more questions Search