Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ProudMAMA02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Getting Bio-Dad to give up Rights
    ABout 2 months ago I split up with the father of my 17 month old and my growing 7 months old in the womb. He has never really shown any responsibility to my daughter or myself so eventually I became fed up. At first I wanted him involved in their lives, I wanted my girls to at least grow up knowing there father. But, this past weekend he was supposed to take his daughter from sat morning to mon after noon. When I went to go drop her off with him he was no where to be found. I knew he had been partying at his brother's house the night before so I went to see if maybe he hadn't left. His brother told me that he was most likely still out partying with girls he had met and offered to take her until he talked to their father since I was already 30 minutes late to work. By the time I got to work I ended up not having to work, they had found a replacement for me for that day. SO I waited about 3 hours then around noon I called to see if her father had shown up or if they had heard from him. They hadn't. SO I told them to get her ready and I would be there to pick her up. As I arrive and am walking through the door I see her father's older brother putting his containr of marijuana away. THey were smoking it while my 17 months old daughter was in the house! I know I cannot blame her father for his brother's actions but I do blame her father for not being there to take on the responsibility of a father. So I guess my whole point is, knowing her father the way I do, I know that as soon as child support kicks in he will be complaining about having to pay it. Especially since they are now already garnishing his checks for unpaid tickets. When that time comes I want to be able to say to him, "then sign over your rights and you won't have to worry about it" but I am absolutely no idea on how to get the papers for this. I want to have them ready for him to sign. I do not feel that he will set a good example for my girls. His response to her seeing him smoke marijuana and hearing him curse, "she'll learn it anyways, whats it matter?" I feel that she does not need to learn about it from her family. SO what do I do?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 10:37 AM

First read through the hundreds if not thousands of other threads on this same topic. You will learn that there are no such papers you are not the only one that thinks it is that easy. There are hundreds of others that have been mistaken too. What you can do is go to court for support and file for full physical custody. If he shows up to ask for visitation the court will order it and it will be your job to ask the judge to have it be supervised (if you have proof of his drug usage or proof that he needs to be supervised).
    ProudMAMA02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Can I make it to where he needs to pass a drug test to see her? What if I just avoid him? Like do not answer his calls or call him,. Can I get in trouble for keeping her from him?
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Nov 3, 2008, 11:50 AM

You can not legally have him sign over his rights unless there is another man willing to adopt the children. A child can not go fatherless after it already has a father. There are ways to make him pass a drug test before he sees the kids, but I am not sure of the process and I think that you will need to have proof of his drug use. Once visitation is established and you ignore his phone calls you can get in trouble. I don't think that you can if there is no order established.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 11:56 AM

While no order is in place you can ignore him all you want but after the order is in place you have to have to abide by the order. The only way a judge will order that he be drug tested is if you have proof of his drug usage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2008, 12:29 PM

If you can prove drug usage, you can probably get supervised visitation.

It may be that he won't care and not attempt to see the kids.
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 3, 2008, 12:34 PM

Also note that, depending on what state you are in, you may be able to leave the fathers name OFF your unborn child's birth certificate, and that means that if he wants to see that child he'll need to pay for a paternity test & pay child support for her.

As for the other child, if the father has the child in a home with drugs this is child endangerment and not only can he lose custody but may also be prosecuted. If your serious about keeping this man out of your children's life forever, get a lawyer. Often times it will pay off in the long run, if they can manage to make him pay child support and not get to see his kids!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting my ex to give up rights [ 8 Answers ]

What constitutes abandonment of a 7 month old child? I want my ex to give up his rights, he has not seen her or contributed to anything for her since she was 3 months old and she is now 7 months old but he refuses to sign over his rights. What do I do?

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

He wants to give up rights [ 2 Answers ]

OK we live in Ohio and my daughters father wants to sign over his rights to one of his other kids. The child does not have his last name but he's currently paying child support. Now do his child support payments stop? How does he go about doing this?

Give up rights [ 4 Answers ]

I am wanting to give up my rights to a child that I have never seen and can not see Because of the child's mother and family. She is 6 years old and the mother and her family did not want anything to do with me.

I want to give up my rights [ 4 Answers ]

I want to give up my rights to a child I never meet or did not even know I had till a year ago he lives on the end of the US and I am not able to even go there to see a lawyer or anything so I just want to sign away my rights because I'm married now and a child on the way so please anyone that can...

View more questions Search