Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    comfortracing Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2008, 09:58 AM
    what do i put under the tile?
    I am redoing my bathroom in a 50 year old house. I am tearing down the plaster walls and putting up water proof (do not know the term for it) gyp board. My question is I am using 16x16 ceramic tiles for the shower walls, ceiling and floor and am wondering what I need under it? Do I use backer board of some sort? Also how can I make sure the ceiling of the shower won't cave under the weight. The ceiling will be 48x36

thanks in advance,

chad
    ashley0716 Posts: 121, Reputation: 12

Nov 3, 2008, 12:19 PM

Depends, what kind of foundation floor do you have?

Nov 3, 2008, 12:36 PM

We have a crawl space so it is timber.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Chad...

You need to install a 1/2" hardiebacker cement board (or 1/2" durock/wonderboard) on all wet area walls in your shower... You can install a mold proof greenboard or paperless board on the rest of the walls.

Also need to install this cement board on the floor (although you could use 1/4" board if your subfloor is at least 3/4" thick)...

Check out this link for more info. On how to install the baord correctly:

James Hardie: HardieBacker 500 backerboard

DO NOT install 16"x16" tile on the ceiling... too large. Stick with 6"x6" or even 8"x8", but 16" tiles are simply to large to stay up by itself... and if 1 falls it will surely puncture the shower or damage something else.

Let us know if you need more here...

MARK

Nov 4, 2008, 02:04 PM

Great thanks for the info. I will look for something smaller for the ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is tile bullnose baseboard installed before or after floor tile? [ 8 Answers ]

My porcelain tile comes with a bullnose that I want to use as the baseboard. I found a response to another question, stating that the floor should be installed first, but I want a grout line between the floor tile and the baseboard, it would be very hard to make it uniform if the floor is...

Peel & Stick tile over existing tile [ 2 Answers ]

Can you install peel and stick tile over existing ceramic tile (bathroom). I am trying too but the tiles don't won't to adhere? I have even sprayed 3M adhesive first!

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Removing grout from tile to reuse tile [ 5 Answers ]

We had our kitchen remodeled last year and removed/saved the old tile. We are now doing a bathroom and want to reuse the tile. How do I remove old grout from the back of tile so I can reuse the tile?

Cleanest method of merging between tile & drywall/tile & tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there guys, I'm drywalling my tub enclosure, preparing for tile, and I've got two questions before I continue: 1) In the past, I've simply placed the rockboard/drywall line about two inches below the terminating line of tile. Is this the best way to handle this? Do you simply bevel the...

View more questions Search