Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jallen2409 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 09:20 AM
    30 day lease contract questions.
    This is about a property in California.

1. I was wondering if there are better written 30day lease agreements than others? Ones that offers more protection to the landlord and that would make things easier on the landlord just in case of ( eviction , tenant injury, > or anything bad)?

2.Do you know where to get the best one?

3. If I wanted to create an addendum to a 30 day lease contract; does it need to be notarized to make it a legal document and should I be carful of what I put on there? I want to put some basic stuff like the rules of the house> what will get them kicked out. (For example, no long term visitors; only one person to a room , or for the couple situation only 2 person to a room, or 3 noise complaints.)

4. If I have rented out a room and any of the tenant have a kid. Can I ask them to leave and make is so it violates the contract (only 1 or 2 people to a room clause)? My reasoning for this last question is mainly because I just don’t want to put the other tenants in a house hold that there is a crying baby. It’s not what they bought into when they rented the room.

Thanks you for your help It really important to me to get a clear answer and you guys do a great job with that.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 12:51 PM

Well, I'm not up on Califoria laws, etc. But I can give you some general information.

I've found the best leases are those written by Apartment Association (states have associations that are affiliated with the National Apartment Association - and no, it not just for apartment owners), landlord associations, groups like that. Even (in TX) the state real estate commission has a good one. (supposed to be a realtor to use it)

You can generally add whatever rules that you want, as long as they don't violate or contradict your state's laws or fair housing requirements. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to each state's LL / tenant laws.

As far as kids, guests, number of occupants, etc. the biggest rule of thumb is that you have to treat everyone equally. So if you say one person to a room, then you have to follow that for everyone. So if a really nice elderly couple comes along who would be great in every way you have to turn them down because there are TWO of them.

Also, if you're just renting out rooms, not whole, separate units, there may be different laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land Contract Questions on Septic [ 1 Answers ]

I have sold my home on a Registered Land Contract . At the time of sale I did not realize that Michigan Law requires a septic check. We did have one about six months before and that did pass. The new buyers had a problem with their septic and had it pumped out. But we ended up having a new...

Questions about Contract for Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I was looking at a house today that the seller wants to sell Contract for Deed. The seller want 105,000 for the house with 10,000 down and is charging 9.99 % interest. He also wants $820.00 a month. I am confused about a couple of things. This may seem like a really stupid questions but here...

Lease contract [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year lease agreement that is very vague. It states that I pay $1900 a month for 2 years. It doesn't state when the lease payment is due. My landlord tried to serve me a 3 day pay or quit notice cause I still owed $400.00 for the lease payment. I told her no. what are my rights on this...

Questions about Contract Deed and Sellers Actions [ 18 Answers ]

My husband and I were not able to obtain financing through a bank or mortgage company due to not realizing the importance of good credit when we were teenagers. However, as we were a bit older and more responsible, we wanted to buy a home and had the money to do so. We couldn't find anything listed...

Opting Out of Lease Contract [ 17 Answers ]

On June 8, 2007 we signed a 12-month lease with a student housing apartments in Austin, TX. Before we left we (husband and myself, daughter was there to witness) asked the agent if there would be a problem with cancelling the contract if we decide to change our minds. He assured us verbally that...

View more questions Search