Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alrightthen Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Can I add someone to my deed and refin into all names?
    I recently built a house. The mortgage switched from construction to permanent in September 2008. However, my construction costs went waaaaay over, to the tune of $100,000 over (it's a long story, I had a lot of bad luck starting with a contractor disappearing with $40,000 in the very beginning). Anyway, I've maxed out my own credit cards and borrowed money from family members to finish the house. My current mortgage is $250,000 and the house appraised for $367,000 before it was finished; so I have a lot of equity. But, I can't refinance because my credit is shot due to the debt I incurred and I have a new job that doesn't make nearly as much $$ as when I got the construction loan (which even then was a no-doc loan). Because of the mortgage and all of the "little" payments to several different credit cards, I'm barely making it. I was wondering, if I added some family members to my deed (family members with good credit and good jobs), could we refinance the house into all of our names and get the equity out to pay off credit cards and the personal loans from the family members? I really need to think of a way to rectify this situation and combine all of the payments. Otherwise, I don't see how I can continue "making it" as it is.. .
    PLEASE. Any ideas or help would be REALLY appreciated.
    Thanks so much.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Absolutely. However, I strongly recommend that you have a separate, written agreement with the family members as to exactly what will be done with the money and the eventual ownership of the property. For example, will the family members be required to release their interest in the property when they've been paid back? Or will they be entitled to an eventual percentage of the profit (if any) when the property is sold? These are things you need to consider before you start giving them pieces of ownership.

In sum, yes, you can do it, but it would be a very good idea to see an attorney first.
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

Nov 9, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Absolutely. However, I strongly recommend that you have a separate, written agreement with the family members as to exactly what will be done with the money and the eventual ownership of the property. For example, will the family members be required to release their interest in the property when they've been paid back? Or will they be entitled to an eventual percentage of the profit (if any) when the property is sold? These are things you need to consider before you start giving them pieces of ownership.

In sum, yes, you can do it, but it would be a very good idea to see an attorney first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many names on the deed? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question: I am building a new home in Texas where my fiancé and I plan on living (and we plan on getting married in about a year). Since my credit and my salary is better than hers, I am the only one on the mortgage, but now the question is what names to put on the deed. In...

Names on deed [ 1 Answers ]

When we purchased our house our credit was crappy so my oms name was only on the deed our realestate agent told us that we could add my name to the deed later. It has been about a year and 1/2 and she is worried about her health and wants to make sure that we have everything in order. Is there a...

Names on deed [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there... my son is buying his first home... he is a bachelor, just out of college. My husband and I are giving him $40,000 for a downpayment on this home. He is getting the loan in his name. All we want is to have our names on the deed; i.e. Tommy Jones, Harry Jones, Mary Jones so that if he...

Two names on deed [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter and her boyfriend are buying a home. Can the deed be in both names even though they are not married?

View more questions Search