Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Was this in Obama's infomercials?
    In a January interview with the SF Chronicle, Obama told us he would make energy prices "skyrocket."

"The problem is not technical, uh, and the problem is not mastery of the legislative intricacies of Washington. The problem is, uh, can you get the American people to say, “This is really important,” and force their representatives to do the right thing? That requires mobilizing a citizenry. That requires them understanding what is at stake. Uh, and climate change is a great example.

You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know — Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I’m capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it — whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, uh, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.

They — you — you can already see what the arguments will be during the general election. People will say, “Ah, Obama and Al Gore, these folks, they’re going to destroy the economy, this is going to cost us eight trillion dollars,” or whatever their number is. Um, if you can’t persuade the American people that yes, there is going to be some increase in electricity rates on the front end, but that over the long term, because of combinations of more efficient energy usage, changing lightbulbs and more efficient appliance, but also technology improving how we can produce clean energy, the economy would benefit.

If we can’t make that argument persuasively enough, you — you, uh, can be Lyndon Johnson, you can be the master of Washington. You’re not going to get that done."

Ok, fair enough, change isn't going to be cheap. So much so that Obama must have forgotten in all his talk on clean coal lately, when he said "if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can — it’s just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted."

Yep, he's going to fix that economy. Anyone here think their home energy costs aren't high enough? Ready for Obama to bankrupt your business?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 06:56 AM

The big question is why did the SF Chronicle suppress this information ? I don't think this news is timely enough to influence the outcome. But... there are a few key swing states that are heavily invested in coal.

If it wasn't for the late Sept. financial "crisis" this campaign would still center on the national security aspects of energy independence and McCain would be in a much better position.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 10:09 AM
    It gets worse, not only did Obama promise energy prices would "necessarily skyrocket," he told Iowa public television last year he wants to send "price signals" to get people to changer their behavior.

"I think it is important to send some price signals to change behavior. It's not going to be painless. Power plants are going to have to adjust how they generate power. They will pass on those costs to consumers.... A lot of us who can afford it are going to pay more for a unit of electricity; over time the electricity bill goes back down as technology catches back up."

James Pethokoukis who wrote this article, tells us how this would wipe out Obama's middle class tax cuts:

See, Obama's little-discussed cap-and-trade plan would raise costs on businesses for using energy, like the entire coal industry—and they would then pass on those costs to you and me. Those "price signals" effectively are $100 billion a year in energy taxes, which would wipe out Obama's middle-class tax cut/credit.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Ohio Coal Association on Obama's Plan to Wipe Them Out:

The message from the Democratic candidate for President could not be clearer: the Obama-Biden ticket spells disaster for America’s coal industry and the tens of thousands of Americans who work in it.

It’s evident that this campaign has been pandering in states like Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, and Pennsylvania to attempt to generate votes from coal supporters, while keeping his true agenda hidden from the state’s voters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama's half hour infomercials [ 123 Answers ]

Does it seem wrong to anyone other than myself, that Obama who preaches to spread the wealth in taxing certain groups of citizens, retired persons, persons with stock funds, small businesses making over $200,000... and giving this money to people who won't or can't work (We already pay welfare from...

Obama's logo [ 10 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there who knows what Obama's logo signifies? Most logos mean something.

Obama's Intelligence? [ 22 Answers ]

Seems to be directly linked to his teleprompter. How could he be shocked at the fact that the US Troops watch Fox News, almost exclusively? He even insinuated that President Bush must have issued an executive order making Fox the only channel available to the troops overseas! Is he really...

Obama's donations . [ 23 Answers ]

Are they all legal ? He is getting record amts of $$$$ ;mostly from on-line donations (most under $200). Pamela Geller who writes the blog 'Atlas Shrugs' has some legitimate questions she raises . Atlas Shrugs: Obama, who is Jeanne McCurdy? She obtained a list of his donors ;a list she says is...

View more questions Search