Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alice123 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks all...

Actually I am conscious of my image and I want to see myself confident in the eyes of myself as well as others...

I can see a lot many confident people around me but don't know why am I not able to become like them... I have seen the development of so many people in front of me who were shy and had no confidence changing into confident persons... but I feel inferior and no one takes me seriously... everyone treats me like a kid...

Nov 9, 2008, 11:09 PM
    I am interested in singing and listening music... it is my hobby... I used to participate in schooldays... but whenever I come on stage and sing... my link breaks and my voice starts shivering... though whenever I'm alone I sing quite confidently...

I also like reading books...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2008, 11:16 PM

Thanks!

Are there places where you live where people who are old go to live once they can't take care of themselves anymore or where they might just choose to move to because of not wanting to be alone?

Nov 9, 2008, 11:26 PM

No I don't think so... as far as I know there are no such kind of places nearby... n if there are... they would be far away...
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2008, 11:40 PM

We would call those kinds of places nursing, retirement or rest homes.

Are there places where a person can give programs for groups of older people?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 11:47 PM

I used to practice my public speaking in front of a small group of neighborhood children. They listened quietly and then, when I was finished, would give me instant feedback and excellent suggestions for improvement. They loved doing that for an adult. It made them feel special and important, and it helped me a lot!

Could you do something like that with child relatives or neighbors' children?

ADDED: And children aren't at all shy about telling you the best and the worst of your performance -- "you scratched your head four times" or "you never smiled once" or "you didn't look at me" or "your voice was boring." A few days later, I would do the same speech or reading again to find out from them if I was improving. "Better," they said. "You're getting better." Whew!

Nov 9, 2008, 11:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    We would call those kinds of places nursing, retirement or rest homes.

Are there places where a person can give programs for groups of older people?
    Actually I don't know exactly... but I'll try to find it out...
    But my family members are there...
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2008, 11:56 PM

That's an excellent idea about practicing in front of children! That's how I first got over my fear. They, or older persons would be the easiest ones to practice in front of when giving a talk, lecture or speech of some kind.

There might be an opportunity in a school where you could help to lead some children in singing or even show them about what you like to sing.

Nov 9, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I used to practice my public speaking in front of a small group of neighborhood children. They listened quietly and then, when I was finished, would give me instant feedback and excellent suggestions for improvement. They loved doing that for an adult. It made them feel special and important, and it helped me a lot!

Could you do something like that with child relatives or neighbors' children?
    My family members are there...
    Could you please suggest what kind of presentations I can give to them?
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice123 View Post
    Actually i dont know exactly...but i'll try to find it out...
    But my family members are there...
    I would imagine that you would have those kinds of places because so many people are living longer now and more of those types of residences are being built.
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 12:01 AM
    Singing in a small group in front of people can also be a way of gradually getting over your fear without being all by yourself when first getting out in public and making a presentation.

Do you have any choirs or choruses where you are in which you might be able to participate?

Nov 10, 2008, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Singing in a small group in front of people can also be a way of gradually getting over your fear without being all by yourself when first getting out in public and making a presentation.

Do you have any choirs or choruses where you are in which you might be able to participate?
    Thanks again Clough... n sorry 4 late reply because the internet was disconnected...

I have a few relatives who also sing... but the thing is they all are busy with their lives...
    Looking at the present situation all I can do is start practicing in front of my family members... I would like to know what kind of presentations and on which topic can I give in front of them... I mean to start practicing public speaking which topic should I start from, please?
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 02:35 AM

I would suggest starting with a subject that you like and about which you have some considerable knowledge already. What you like to sing and telling about the books that you have read might be good things to talk about in front of people.

I would avoid writing down exactly what you're going to say and just reading it word for word. For awhile, I used to do that. It's okay to have an outline and some notes to go by, though.

Now, I don't need to have anything written down or even to use an outline or notes for when I give a lecture because I know the subject well enough. That is usually in something concerning music or about musical instruments.

If I were to have to give a lecture about something else, I would probably be jotting down some notes and also have an outline. But, I don't have to read word for word anymore from something that I've written because I've gotten so used to speaking in front of people.

It really does just take practice and forcing yourself to do it as far as feeling comfortable and prepared when speaking in front of people.

Nov 10, 2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks so much Clough... for providing such wonderful ideas... I am feeling enthusiastic about this... n I would try my best to implement these ideas in my speaking...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Public Speaking Practice [ 2 Answers ]

Dose any one know of any places or clubs that can help refine my public speaking skills Thanks PB

Public Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I want to know what types of public speaking situations you, as teachers, find yourselves in often. Thank you, Ben

Speaking in public [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have to do a reading at my sisters wedding next week and had the practice run tonight. This is a real challenge for me and I want to do well for my sister. I am generally nervous in such situations and during the practice run was very tense and found breathing and being natural...

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

Public Speaking [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, every year in junior high we have to write a speech and deliver it to class and there is a competition. I won first place in grades 5, 6 and 7, and 2nd in grade 8, but this year I'm stuck. I have no idea what to write about, and I don't really want to write about something serious. I was...

View more questions Search