Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hurley6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Firewall LOCKED by Windows Group Policy? Can't get on Internet!
    My dad recently gave me his old work laptop that he used at the college which he worked at... I have been trying to get on the internet at home, however, I'm only able to find the wireless connection, (no internet). I looked at the firewall settings and since the computer was under the "Windows Group Policy" on the colleges network, the network administrator locked the firewall settings for Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection 2. Is there a way around this? Or would the network administrator have to do it?
    Would uninstalling Windows work?
    PLEASE HELP!!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 3, 2008, 12:36 PM

You are much better off reinstalling the computer from scratch. It is almost impossible to get around the Group Policy settiings without the benefit of the same domain and Group Policies to undo what has been done.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Chuck,
    I use utilities such as Hiren's Boot CD to help my customers who buy a laptop that was configured for a domain. For the regular Joe I agree that reformating with a Windows CD is likely the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to use Group Policy to block user internet downloading? [ 15 Answers ]

I have a computer for my kid, the OS is XP professional, I create only one administrator account for him(for my personal reason, I want my kid use administrator account only, not limited account, not other accounts). I allow my kid to access internet, but I don't want my kid downloading any...

Difference between organizational unit and group policy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Can anyone let me know what is the difference between organizational unit and group policy in 2003 server :confused:

Group Policy settings [ 1 Answers ]

How do I prevent all users in a site to not be able to change the desktop background and screen saver?

Difference between domain group policy and DC policy? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, may I know the difference between domain group policy and domain controller policy. If I want to restrict a user who is accessing the local drives and CD drive of a client machine and internet. How can I prevent the user/user. Thanks varughese abraham.

Local group policy [ 1 Answers ]

How can I restrict local users by using group policy. I want to create a user and allow them to use .NET and SQL Server. The local user should be a member of which group?

View more questions Search