Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnny187blaze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Plumb a bath to an ejector pit
    What is the proper way to run drains from a basement bath to a ejector pit? I need a drain for a sink in the bathroom and a sink at a bar. The toilet is already plumbed in the floor to the pit and apears to have a vent already. The 2 sinks are close enough to use the same drain to the pit but I'm not sure how to plumb the 2 sinks to the pit. The pit has two lines coming out of it. One is the pipe to the overhead sewer pipe with the one way valve and the other is what seems to be a vent. I heard that you shouldn't plumb drains in the vent line but what other way do I "tap" into the pit? Do the sinks have to have a vent of there own? I live in Illinois if that makes a difference with codes or whatnot.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
    the 2 sinks are close enough to use the same drain to the pit but I'm not sure how to plumb the 2 sinks to the pit.
    You may combine the two sink drains and connect to the toilet drain under the floor using a wye or a combination wye and eighth bend. . Each sink must have it's own vent which may then be combined to run out the roof or revent to a existing roof vent in the attic. These vents will also wet vent the toilet which should have had its own vent from the git-go.
    the pit has two lines coming out of it. One is the pipe to the overhead sewer pipe with the one way valve and
    There should have been two vents plus the discharge line from the pit. One vent for the toilet and a dedicated vent for the pit. This pit vent should not combine with any other house vent as , unlike a house fixture vent thatjust breaths in, the pit vent will breath out when fixtures discharge into the pit and breath in as the ejector pump pumps the discharge up and out in the sewer main.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click, Good luck, Tom
    johnny187blaze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Do I have to connect the drains for the sink under the floor or can I go a few inches up before the pipe that vents the toilet goes underground? I know every job is different but how do you suggest venting the sinks? What I mean is do you have to have the vent in a certain area or anywhere along the route of the pipe. Does it have to be the highest point where the vent starts?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2008, 04:15 PM
    You don't have a vent on the toilet. If you did there would be three pipes going up instead of just two. You will have to open up the floor and connect to the toilet drain line. You will pick the sinks up with a couple of 2 X 1 1/2" sanitary tees and run the sink vents off the top of the tees. Sorry Jhonny, ain't going to be no easy fix here. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boiler not heating upstairs, should we re-plumb ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 50 yr old home with a boiler that we replaced when we moved in (2003). If it is below freezing outside the inside temp will barely get above 64. And the upstairs (cape cod design) will be freezing. We have to use electric heaters up there. Any idea how much it costs to replumb the...

Ceiling fan doesn't hang plumb [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Hampton Bay 52" Oakley ceiling fan with a 12" downrod on a 4/12 pitch ceiling.With the hanger bracket installed, I put the fan motor and downrod assembly in the ceiling bracket and wired it. When I slid the ceiling canopy up in place, there was a little interference with the downrod,...

Door jam out-of-plumb [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into a newly built house less than a year ago and the door between the Master Bedroom and Master Bathroom will not close. When we moved in last year, the door would close; but the gap narrowed at the top of the jam from the hinge side of the jam to the knob side of the jam. Now the top of...

In my arms by plumb [ 7 Answers ]

I heard this song in my arms and I know who sings it but I know that they mixed it. I heard the mixed version on XM and it was awesome. How do I find the remix?

Leak in basement plumb stack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small leak in one of the connectors in the main plumb stack in the basement. The water running down (slowly) seems to be clear. What do I do? How can I find out where it is coming from. There is no odor. Thanks Conny

View more questions Search