Perpetual Inventory system

Number of units Unit cost Unit sale price

Mar.1 Beginning Inventory 50 15

Mar.2 Purchase 12 20

Mar.8 Sale 40 36

Mar.17 purchase 24 25

Mar.22 Sale 31 40

How do I prepare the Inventory record?

Should I use the unit sale price of $36 for the sale of 40 units on March 8th or use the unit cost of $ 20 and $15?

Any help in this matter is appreciated.
    sanmisa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 10:30 PM
    What are the element of a perpetual inventory system
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
    There isn't any way to say whether it's $15 or $10 without knowing if it's LIFO or FIFO. However, you don't use the sales price. The idea behind doing this is that whenever something is sold by the company, they need to recognize removing the units out of inventory at their COST. They go into inventory at cost and therefore must come out at cost. The cost thus far is $15 and $20. So that's what you're using. The $36 is the sales price, which is higher than cost so they can make a profit. If you used $36, there would be nothing to figure out. :-)

Also, please be careful to put $ on dollars. When you're working with both unit numbers and dollar amounts, you need to distinguish the difference.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sanmisa
    What are the element of a perpetual inventory system
    Please post your questions under your own new thread.

Also, I have no idea what is meant by an "element" of an inventory system. That's not an official accounting term and is just something your book chose to call something. You need to look through the explanations in your book and see what they are referring to. If you can even find an example of what they mean, that might help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expensing Inventory [ 4 Answers ]

Can you expense inventory as soon as it is received even though it is still setting on the shelf and has not been used? What happens at the end of the year when the my MRP system states I have a million dollars worth of inventory? Is this legal?

Inventory cost [ 2 Answers ]

When Inventory is purchased, should the cost be placed under "Cost of Good" or "Inventory"? Is another option to make a category of COG under each inventory type? I/E: COG-hats, COG-coats etc. Thanks for your help. Don [email protected]

Perpetual Inventory system [ 1 Answers ]

Apr 2. Britt received an $18,000 invoice from one of its suppliers. Terms were 2/10 n/30, FOB shipping Point. Britt paid the freight bill amounting to $2,000. 4.Britt returned $2,500 of the merchandise billed on April 2 because it was defective. 5. Britt sold $8,000 of merchandise on account,...

Perpetual inventory method [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to figure out how to journalize some information using the Perpetual inventory method. Here is the information. a) Sold merchandise on account, for $10,000. The cost of the merchandise sold was $4,500. b) Sold merchandise to customers who used MasterCard and VISA, $8,500. The...

Inventory Question [ 1 Answers ]

Does a decrease in inventory turnover for the current year compared to the prior year indicate an improvement in the management of inventory?

View more questions Search