Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yrageel12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Dog Behavior
    I would like to ask 2 questions just for information please. 1. Do dogs crouch when they are about to attack a prey or run in a crouching position toward an attack? I noticed this in a Pit Bull and am wondering if it is common among dogs. 2. My dog was able to forcefully pull his head backwards out of his collar with leash attached and me pulling on it. This has happened only twice and while he was involved in a dog fight. Is this a common defensive action among dogs? Thank you for whatever you can contribute.
    missingpieces Posts: 70, Reputation: 6

Nov 1, 2008, 10:52 PM

For 1. sometimes dogs do this in attack mode and sometimes they do it when they are scared, I have had many dogs that do this when they are scared. Sometimes they do it when they are about to start playing. It is hard to say what the pit is thinking, don't just assume that it is going to attack just because it is a pit. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

For 2. the only thing I can think of is that he is either trying to go towards the fight when you are pulling him away or that he wants to get as far away from the fight as possible.

These are just possibilities, I hope they help. It is really hard to tell without actually seeing the dog's behavior first hand.
    yrageel12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by missingpieces View Post
    For 1. sometimes dogs do this in attack mode and sometimes they do it when they are scared, I have had many dogs that do this when they are scared. Sometimes they do it when they are about to start playing. It is hard to say what the pit is thinking, don't just assume that it is going to attack just because it is a pit. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

For 2. the only thing I can think of is that he is either trying to go towards the fight when you are pulling him away or that he wants to get as far away from the fight as possible.

These are just possibilities, I hope they help. It is really hard to tell without actually seeing the dog's behavior first hand.
    For 1. The Pit Bull did attack from behind, hitting my leg as he ran by to jump on my dog's back. He was in a sitting position before getting into a crouched position and then charged. His owner was not around.

For 2. This happened (while I was still holding the leash) after the Pit Bull attacked my dog and they were fighting.
    missingpieces Posts: 70, Reputation: 6

Nov 3, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yrageel12 View Post
    For 1. The Pit Bull did attack from behind, hitting my leg as he ran by to jump on my dog's back. He was in a sitting position before getting into a crouched position and then charged. His owner was not around.

For 2. This happened (while I was still holding the leash) after the Pit Bull attacked my dog and they were fighting.
    Ok I see. Then yes a crouched position can be indicative of an attack. And your dog was just trying to get away from the situation most likely and felt even more scared and restrained by his collar and wanted out.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 04:25 AM

2. try a harness instead of a collar. There are special designs made specifically for this purpose. visit your local pet store and explain what you're looking for. Certain breeds are shaped in ways that make slipping out of a collar much easier (or even possible).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Odd behavior [ 4 Answers ]

Ok all of a sudden my dog is super protective over me. She is only 8 or 9 months but had never been so clingy or prtective. She usually gets along well with other animals and she loves out other dog and out cat but this weekend we had a puppy play date with my friends dogs like normal and she would...

Dog behavior [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old female Doxie who has been fixed. She is very possesive off me. I am considering getting another sml breed puppy and would like advise on what breed goes with a doxie and would she get along best with a male or female.

Odd Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

I have just recently moved into a new apartment and my cat is finally settled realizing this is her home but when I pour her food she scratches on the floor and wall around her dish like they do in the litter box before she eats. Is there any specific reason for this??

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

ODD dog behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Terrier lab mix... or mutt how ever you look at it. He has developed on behaviors. We often times go to socialize at a friends house who has a dog. They play and have a great time. He never spends the night there or anything. He is very happy while he there. But for the...

View more questions Search