Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Nov 1, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Can't Connect to Internet using Router
    I must have developed a computer curse!

I've been using an older model D-Link wireless router for a few years (802.11g).

Had it connected with ethernet cable to one PC, and wireless to 2 more. The cable connection always worked fine, but had funky connections with the wireless.
    (3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller. Driver version 4.5.0.0. Did a driver scan, nothing newer available).

Just bought a new D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme-N Router and matching PCI card.

Now I have great wireless speed, stability, and signal strength, but my PC connected directly to the routher with the ethernet cable has internet connection problems it never had before.

ONLY after bootup, when I open Internet Explorer 7, it won't connect. If I hit refresh (or "try again" in the dialog error box) it always connects.

Once it connects the first time, it always connects after that, even if I close IE7 or put the PC in standby. But of I power off and reboot, it won't connect the 1st time.

Now, if I bypass the router and run the ethernet cable directly from the cable modem to the PC, the problem is gone, and it connects every time.

It seemed like a no-brainer to me that it was the router. So I called D-Link and spoke with 4 different Sr Techs. They swear it is not the router because it does connect okay to my laptop when I plug in the cable (makes some sense I guess). Although I only tried this test once.

They are telling me that it is a problem with either my firewall (not - I turned it off), IE7, or my ethernet controller. They suggested that I reinstall IE7, and "play around" with the ethernet controller settings (which I have no idea how to do, and can't find any info on line about changing these settings).

All that said, does this sound more like a router issue, or a computer issue?

(Sorry for all the background)

Before I mess with the ethernet card, or spend all day trying to uninstall and reinstall IE7, I thought about just buying another router (same model) to see if any difference.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Let's attempt to confirm the networking settings are proper before troubleshooting hardware problems...

1. Determine what network your new router is using for the LAN. You will probably need to login into the router's administrative web interface using the laptop to determine this. Consult the router documentation for how to do this. Typically, you enter the router's LAN address in a web browser and enter a username and password if prompted. Note the router's LAN IP address, network mask, DNS name servers, and whether or not DHCP is enabled (suspect it is since laptop is working).

2. On the wired computer, open your network adapter's properties via Start > Control Panel > Network Connections, right-click your wired adapter and choose "Properties". Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the "This connection uses the following items" list and click '"Properties".

Now, if the router had DHCP enabled, set both IP address and DNS address sections to "Obtain... automatically" and OK out of the dialogs. Reboot the computer and see if Internet access works. If so, you're done.

But, if DHCP was disabled on the router, you will need to configure a static address in the same network of the router using the "Use the following..." radio button options.

As an example, let's say the router is using the following typical LAN configuration:
    LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP: Disabled

For this configuration, your LAN consists of all addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254, so the computer's static addressing could be:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2 < This arbitrary within the LAN range
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 < The router's LAN address

DNS Server 1: [Obtained from router or ISP]
    DNS Server 2: [Obtained from router or ISP]

Clear as mud?

Nov 4, 2008, 05:30 PM

Hey Scleros, haven't heard from you for awhile.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the info I was hoping for. I shall log in to the router and check it out. I did go through this with D-link on the phone (very quickly) and seem to recall that DHCP was enabled and everything was set to auto. But I'll double check.

Back to my curse. Since I didn't have the info/know-how that you just gave me, I figured the easiest way to at least narrow it down to either the router or the PC was to swap out the router.

Keep in mind that this "unable to connect" problem was 100% consistent, and I could duplicate it every time.

So I bought the router and was ready to go. Booted up one last time, and it connected. That was 2 days ago. It has connected every single time since then. So at this moment, I can't do my router swap.

It's been my experience that intermittent problems never go away, so I'm expecting this to be back. Frustrating... can't fix it if it's not broken.

Based on this new info, what would you advise I do?

Thanks... msc

Nov 4, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Update:

I checked everything you outlined above on the router and PC. It is all set exactly the way you described it. DHCP enabled on router, etc. And IP and DNS set to automatic on PC.

Next step??
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 07:08 PM

Keep in mind one of the things that makes the internet simple to use is that things like IP addresses and "leases" last for a certain length of time, then the whole setup sort of "resets" for a new period.

The reason I say that is because it is completely possible that what you experienced was a temporary and possibly one-time incongruous configuration, and now that a "reset" has occurred, it could very possibly hum along swimmingly.

Fingers crossed.

Nov 4, 2008, 07:42 PM

Well, I did not know that. That would just be too much. A problem that solves itself. Who could ever imagine such a thing?

I was so sure this problem would recur.

Thank you both for all your assistance.

(I think I'll hold on to the extra router for a few weeks just in case)

Now if I could just get that logon problem solved, I can retire in peace... for now :-)
    Software Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 08:55 PM

(mumble) Add a password... (grumble)

Nov 5, 2008, 06:57 AM

Now who ever heard of a Rocket Scientist with a great sense of humor?

I shall take this as a challenge, and fix this thing WITHOUT A PASSWORD.

And JB, you'll be the first to know when I get it working...
    Software Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 12:53 PM

Here's a thought. Add a password. Reboot. Login with your now working Welcome Screen, edit the account and remove the password. Reboot.

Fingers crossed.

Nov 5, 2008, 01:51 PM

Creative thought... but didn't quite do the trick.

(It was nice to see my Welcome Screen again)
    Software Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 01:58 PM

Oooo... evil thought. Create an unneeded third account ad put a password on that one. See if that does the trick.

Nov 5, 2008, 03:30 PM

Well I'll be darned. Now that's thinking outside the "user acct" box!

Yes, it DOES work. It's just too simple. You are clearly a genius. Who needs a registry anyway??

THANK YOU!

Now, a few weeks ago, you told me the steps to keep the PC from going to the Welcome Screen every time the screensaver comes on. Would you mind repeating that for me?

I really just want the welcome screen at bootup.

Thanks... msc
    Software Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 03:44 PM

Go into the ScreenSaver options and uncheck the On Resume, password protect box.
    Hardware Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    Based on this new info, what would you advise I do?...
    Next step???
    The next time the problem happens, start a command prompt (Start > Accessories > Command Prompt), and issue "ipconfig /all" followed by Enter key and see if an IP address is still assigned to your network adapter. If not, try "ipconfig /renew" and see what happens, errors, etc.

Note: If the address is 169.254.x.x instead of a 192.168.x.x or whatever your router is using for a network, that's an autoconfiguration address Windows uses when it cannot get a proper address via DHCP. Basically means DHCP isn't working if DHCP is configured.

Autoconfiguration protocols like DHCP are great when they work and a pain when they don't. When equipment swapping, fully depowering and rebooting all involved devices simultaneously helps eliminate residual configurations from the former devices. Using static configurations can also eliminate changes to your network at the expense of administrative overhead.

Nov 5, 2008, 07:05 PM

JB,

Thanks for the screensaver instructions! I'll try that right now. (Can you tell me how to get to Screensaver Options? I can't find it. Looked in Control Panel under Display. Not there)

Now that I am finished dancing around the house from a sense of overwhelming success, as promised, you are the first person I shall inform (along with the other 10 million readers on this site).

I solved the mystery of the missing Welcome Screen!!!!!!!!!! (I think).

Bottom line is, I believe this might be normal operation! At least with Service Pack 3.

When I said I had boot up to the Welcome screen in the past, it didn't occur to me that since my PC was new, I had user accts set up for my wife and son.

When I reformatted and this problem suddenly appeared, I only set up user accts for me (administrator), and Guest.

For the past 2 hours, I have been trying every combination of user names, guests, passwords, no passwords, etc. I even installed my old HD to confirm "normal" boot up.

It turns out that "Guest" is a special category of user acct that Windows doesn't recognize as an additional user. I confirmed this on my wife's PC, which has been doing the same thing as mine on boot up.

To make the PC go to the Welcome Screen on boot up, you must have a second user acct other than guest. It can be limited access, and doesn't need a password.

Now the caveat. My wife swears that her PC used to go to the Welcome Screen on boot up with just her single user acct, and that this bypass problem started recently.

So perhaps this is not original Windows normal operation, but it seems to be now. All 3 of my computers are XP SP3, and are all responding the same way to these user acct settings. So maybe it was the SP3 update?

Can you tell me if you are running XP, what Service Pack, and how your PC boots up to user accts? Just to confirm my theory.

Holy Cow... and thanks!

Nov 5, 2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks Scleros:

I just went through your process to see how it all works. I get the idea now.

As of this moment, the IP addresses match and the internet connection is fine.

The problem was 100% consistent for 2-3 days after initial set up of new router, then it just disappeared and has worked perfectly ever since.

I shall keep your procedure on file, just in case it returns.

Listen, I bought a new (indentical) router to swap out as a test when it was not connecting, but never got the chance, as it started working that day. Before I return it, would you recommend that I switch them out? Or is it possible that this problem is gone forever?

JB indicated that it may have automatically reset and corrected the problem.

I hate to return the router and later find that I should have swapped them, only to find it is no longer available.

Your thoughts..
    Software Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Thanks for the screensaver instructions! I'll try that right now. (Can you tell me how to get to Screensaver Options? I can't find it. Looked in Control Panel under Display. Not there.
    Yes it is. Watch the tabs... choose Screen Saver (poke).

Nov 6, 2008, 08:51 AM

Right there in front of me.

Thanks again to everyone!

All is well (for now)...
    Hardware Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Before I return it, would you recommend that I switch them out? Or is it possible that this problem is gone forever?
    It's possible that the problem is gone forever, however new problems are always lurking in the shadows waiting for an opportunity. If your Internet connection is vital to you, why don't you weigh the router cost against of having an already configured spare that can simply be dropped in place in the event of equipment malfunction.

Nov 6, 2008, 05:40 PM

Good point. I haven't even opened the new router yet. Perhaps I'll wait a while.

The original has been rock solid. Not a single error or any kind in 3-4 days now. I'll give it a few weeks and see how things go.

Thanks Scleros...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect Mac Powerbook G3 to internet via my router [ 2 Answers ]

I have a BT Wireless Network 1250 router to which one PC is connected physically and another PC connects using a USB Netgear adaptor. I want to also connect a Powerbook G3 but am told it is too old a machine to take an airport card. I have tried plugging it in physically to the router but no...

Why can't I get internet connect through my wireless router? [ 6 Answers ]

I am on my 3rd router trying to solve this problem originally thinking it was the brand of router. I now have a netgear router and I am trying to run it on Windows XP system, the problem is this: once inserting the program cd into the desktop and loading it up I have went through all the prompts...

Does a router connect me to the internet by itself [ 2 Answers ]

Will a router installed in my laptop connect me to the internet sans any external connections?

Cannot connect with router [ 18 Answers ]

I Have a compaq evo n800v that I just got and it has an Ethernet cord running into my router and all of my other computers that go to that router are getting the internet but my laptop isn't. If anyone could shed some light on my problem that would be great thanks :)

Unable to connect to internet with new broad band connection and router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have just signed up to the latest AOL deal that gives a free Dell laptop and Netgear router. I am really struggling I tried to use the disk to set up the connection and it failed. Following instructions and changing passwords and screen name AOL said it must be the line. Following a line...

View more questions Search