Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbelcner Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 01:14 PM
    3 Way Switch for a ceiling fan
    I have many wires coming from the ceiling where I recently took down a fan.

It appears that there are two separate sets of wires... obviously a two way switch. I am confused by the fact that there are 6 red wires (in total) and 4 black wires and 2 white wires.

Can you tell me which wire should be utilized to hook up my fan.

Traditionally the red goes to the blue wires on the fan (for the light) and the black goes to black and the white to white and of course green to green. I guess what is confusing is the fact that the fan that I took down had two of the red wires hooked into the fan and the black wires were not used.

Can you offer any help on a solution?

Many thanks.

John
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 07:20 AM

Sounds like you have 2 conduits to fan box, each having 3 reds, 2 blacks and a white.
    White should be your neutral to fan.
    You will need to remove both 3 way switches and see which are connected to traveller screws(2 dark ones on switch).
    2 of the reds or 2 of the blacks may be travellers. Anything not disturbed/undone should be left as is. Removing switches should tell all.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 05:25 PM

How were all the wires connected to the fan you took down?

What make/model was the fan you took down? Nutone is the only brand I know that uses two red wires.

How many wall switches do you have and what do/did they control?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan-One switch, ceiling, 3 white, 3 black, red [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan I am replacing. There is one wall switch. In the ceiling there is 3 black wires connected together, 3 white together and a red. I didn't notice any other wires and evidently, wrongly assumed the red was a ground. I connected the fan black and blue to the ceiling black and...

Ceiling fan switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan. The on/off pull switch for the fan needs to be replaced. There are 4 wires to the switch but when I opened the fan, two of the wires came out of the switch so I don't know where they belong. Can anyone help me. The switch itself has letters on it so it must...

Ceiling fan switch [ 2 Answers ]

We have a hampton bay ceiling fan, the chain switch broke and we got a replacement switch at home depot. It is a westinghouse 77075. We need the correct wiring schematic for the switch. It is a 6 wire switch. Please help

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Ceiling Fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

The switch chain broke off and I replaced the brokenswitch with a different switch that I saved from an old fan that was thrown away. The broken (old) switch had four wires (L - black... 1 - orange... 2 - purple... 3 - yellow). The new/ replacement has only 3 wires. I foolishly failed to mark the...

View more questions Search