Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Dimmer Switch
    I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches would not cause a problem. Does anyone see a problem with doing this. I know dimmer switchs may heat up, but wanted to make sure it would not effect the surrounding wiring. Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance.

- Patrick
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 04:15 AM
    How hot is gets depends on the load the dimmer will feed. All dimmers are designed to get hot, and must be able to dissipate heat.

Size the dimmer to be larger than the load you will control. If you have 400 watss of load, use a 600 watt dimmer, if you have 600 watts then use an 800 or a 1000 watt dimmer.

As long as ou consider the load and the size of dimmer, I do not see any other issue with installing the dimmer with the other switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Dimmer buzzing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why wall dimmers for incandescent lights buzz? I have had some that buzz and some that don't. If the light buzzes, changing the dimmer doesn't seem to help. The buzz is very annoying!

Fan and dimmer switch problem [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a bathroom extractor fan which works from a dimmer switch also wired to a light? When the light is on dim, the fan does not come on, but when it is up full, the fan switches in. This is great at night when you visit the loo and don't want to wake your partner with a bright light...

Fluorescent dimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that dimmer switches should not be used with fluorescent lights (kitchen). True or not? I haven't found anything in the books that I have. Are there dimmer switches made just for fluorescents? Thanks for the help. Jersey

View more questions Search