Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berchj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Roof flashing done wrong
    I had inexpensive roofers replace shingles this week. No leaks yet but I have looked at several web sites and feel they did the flashing around chimney wrong. The metal they covered the step flashing with has a flare on top that flares out away from chimney instead of being imbedded into the grout. They say "oh that won't leak!" Some guy at work had recommended them because his dad had his roof done but now I find out they offer a 200 $ kick back for referals.
    What should I do?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 02:54 PM

Don't sweat it.

An educated customer is the best customer.

A roofing outfit doesn't want to have negative comments about their work, I doubt they left something that will leak.

If you'd like, post a picture of the roofline/chimney flashing and we here might be able to give you some more ideas.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 2, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Does the top flashing flare out at the bottom, or at the top, like it would catch the rain?

If it is embeded at the top and out at out at the bottom, it is proably counter flashing and is covering the shingle flashing below it. That would be OK.

Roger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roof flashing [ 2 Answers ]

Have a few leaks where the carport roof abuts to the main roof. There is a crack Line about 20 feet. Has no flasher. The roof is a flat type made of asphalt sheets. Like shingle material. Do I use the 45 degree alumium flashing I see at the home depot.? Or is there another method to fill in...

Roof Flashing Valley to Peak [ 1 Answers ]

When I am using W shaped valley flashing and my two valleys meet at the peak of the roof, how do I flash the top so as not to get a leak there?

Metal Roof Valley Flashing [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to reroof over shingles with metal on a house that has 4 valleys. What is the best way to Flash the valleys and end the metal panels at the valleys. How far should the flashing extend under the panels? Should I use modified roofing under the metal in the valleys. How should I attach the...

Is something wrong w/ this roof? [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering purchasing this house and had photographed it to send to my kids. I noticed the roof doesn't look right. In the disclosure paperwork, the owner claims this roof was replaced in 2003. I have attached the picture. Please tell me your thoughts.

View more questions Search