Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2008, 12:55 AM
    How to Reduce a URL Address to Just One Word Rather Than Have It Be Many Words
    At one time, I knew how to do that. But, I have forgotten how. Let's say the website address might read something like the following:

[Name] a Website All About the Things That [Name] Does

Reduced to:

Here ["Here" Being the URL.]

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2008, 01:09 AM
    A couple of way.
    On the site it's simply a case of typing the link word, highlighting it and using the hyperllink button above.

So it looks like this:

Code:
    [URL="http://www.whereever.com"]HERE[URL]
    Need to remember to add the closing / on the last URL tag.
    For anywhere else on the net TinyURL is useful
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2008, 01:15 AM

Thanks, Ben!

I was just about to send you a private message about my question.

I posted a link on the following thread that didn't look anything like what it does now when I copied it. It's much more than I would like to have in a link that concerns me.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/person...ng-275846.html
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2008, 01:18 AM
    I see your problem here.
    If the URL is simply C&P then the information from the header of the page is used to name the link, rather than the more normal blah!.

This is part of the sites SEO implementation.

You can edit and reduce the amount of information if required.
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2008, 01:27 AM

Was going to try to reduce the link as per your instructions. Couldn't go back to the site that I listed because it seems to be temporarily unavailable.

I removed the link from my post there, temporarily. Would like to put it back later. But, it still exists in the quote by the poster from China.

Would you please remove it from the quote, and/or reduce it, please?

Thanks!
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2008, 01:47 AM
    Tis done ;)

All reduced.
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2008, 01:51 AM
    Cool and thanks! I'll have to practice how to do that myself! Hopefully, the question and information here will also be a magnet to others who might have the same kind of question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding words in files Microsoft Word etc. And viewer [ 2 Answers ]

My QuickFinder Manger/Search (utility with WordPerfect) has now ceased to function. Do you know of any freeware which can perform a similar function -- you add a word and it shows all files with that word or phrase, and QuickView Plus will then open the file in a separate box for viewing. Thank you.

If I know somebodys IP address, can I find out their email address? [ 2 Answers ]

If I know somebodys IP address, can I find out their email address?

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search