Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Laptop fan runs, no video
    My son has an old ibook G4 (2004) that suddenly stopped running yesterday while he was taking notes in class. If we press the power button, the fan starts up noisily, but it won't boot.

It turns off intermittently if I hold the power button down for 10 seconds, but often won't turn off. In that case, I can make it turn off by holding down shift-cntrl-option (I think) and pushing the power button. By firmly pressing on the left hand side of the case, we got it to start to boot up. But then it shut off.

Any hope of getting his files off this machine?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 03:57 PM

Try running with just the battery, or just the plug and no battery installed to see if any combo of these things will work
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks, seahwk.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. We were able to start it up by having my son push down on the left hand side of the case. I backed up to an external drive. I am trying to run disk utilities even though it seems like a hardware problem.

I would not have thought of pressing on the case like that, but someone at the apple discussion website reported last year that it had worked for him, so we tried it and it works! Very weird. My son had to press so hard, his hand hurt though. I reset the PRAM and the fan noise is now gone. Hopefully, that's a good sign...
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 06:05 PM

Hopefully that's it, just make interval backups, laptop may be on last leg, better safe than lose data/files etc..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Video input card for a laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a external card with a BNC input that will allow a laptop to be used as a test monitor for a standard NTSC video format on a CCTV system. I help maintain our camera system. At my old job we had small testing monitors for focusing cameras, but I'm just wondering if there is a...

Installing a S-Video plug into Laptop? [ 1 Answers ]

I have two laptops 1.hp pavilion ze4900 2.compaq presario 2100 With a s-video plug in the compaq but I want the s video plug in the hp laptop is this possible if so how?

AC fan runs slow, but switch to heat fan runs normal [ 3 Answers ]

The other morning I came into the house and noticed the ac was not working. I turned off the breaker to the unit for a few minutes. Then turned it back on. Went to the thermostat pushed it over to auto and the fan came on but ran very slow. I them turned it off. Then turn on the heat, the fan...

View more questions Search