Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melanie68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Adding shower or bath in 1/2 bath
    Hi,
    We have a downstairs bath that has a toilet, sink and washer and dryer. We want to move the washer and dryer into the garage which is on the other side of the wall. With the room we gain we would like to add a shower. How do we add a drain? The laundry drain pipes are in the wall. I know because I took the wall apart when we had a leak! Can I put a shower drain using the current drain for the washer? If I move the washer and dryer to the other side of the wall in the garage can the shower and washer share the same drain? Or would it be better to use the sink drain? The bathroom is about 12 by 12 and once the washer and dryer are gone there will be plenty of room.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 1, 2008, 02:39 PM
    If you have a wood floor, you would want to go below and add a drain, 2", and put in a trap and folllow it over the the main drain and put some fall in the line and tie it to the main drain.

If you have concrete, you either have to chip it out and may be able to run it to the washer drain and out that way, or if you don't chip, put the drain on top the floor, , allow for some fall and over to the washer drain. this last is the least satisfactory as your shower floor will end up about 6" higher than the bath floor.

Good luck Roger
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Melanie...

You can use the washer VENT for the shower vent.. so that's a good thing here... ;)

My first drawing depicts what you probably have in place now. See drawing below.

I will post another drawing in the next box so you can see approximately how to connect into the drain and VENT system!
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Here, you will want to connect onto the 2" washing machine drain pipe and then connect onto the washing machine VENT as shown below.

Be sure to pitch pipe at 1/4" per foot of pipe and to hang pipe every 4 feet! n you will want to connect onto washing machine waste/vent pipe as in below pic.

Let me know if you have any questions!

MARK
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Mispost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a shower to a 1/2 Bath [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slab foundation & have been told that because of that I cannot add a shower to my half bath in order to convert it into a full bath. Is that true?

Adding master bath to 1 bath home [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to add a master suite and bathroom to a 2 bed 1 bath slab home. The existing bath is behind a wall adjacent to the space where I will add the bath. My main concern is how I tie into the drain lines. I assume I will have to chip the slab or is there a way to elevate the toilets and tie...

Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath [ 1 Answers ]

I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it...

View more questions Search