Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HeatherDawn Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Difference in SSI and SSD when petioning for spouse
    Recently,I went to an immigration lawyer with my fiancé,whom I plan on marrying in a month.The lawyer said we can marry then go back and file papers.My fiancé needs a sponsor because I am on SSI.Not SSD.I need to know what the difference is when it comes to SSI and SSD and if being opn SSI and NOT SSD will cause problems when it comes to going to the lawyer to petition after we marry.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 10:50 PM

SSD=Social Security Disability
    SSI = Supplemental Security Income

SSI is considered a welfare, and number one rule of filing a petition for fiance's visa or any immigrant visa is you, as a sponsor, must prove that your earning is 125% of poverty guidelines and source of income must not be from the government.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Non resident spouse - Can I claim spouse exemption (1040 6b) [ 8 Answers ]

I am a resident alien with a non resident alien spouse who: (a) Moved to the US in August 2007 on H4, but left shortly afterwards to close ties in the foreign country (in preparation of permanent move in 2008) (b) Does not meet the substantial presence test in 2007 (c) has no US income during...

Submitting spouse W7, should spouse SSN in 1040 left blank? [ 2 Answers ]

I am submitting W7 form for my wife with my 1040 and 1040 Schedule A (itemized deductions) forms. What should I put for spouse SSN in 1040 form? Should I just write "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED" for spouse SSN? Also, on second page of 1040 I see I have my SSN on top right corner of the page, but...

Work or Spouse Visa.future Military spouse. [ 1 Answers ]

I really have no idea where to start... I am engaged and currently visiting my fiancé (a Marine) in Okinawa, Japan. . He is stationed in Japan for the next 9 months. I was considering moving to Japan to be with him during this tour. I do not have a job in the US, I will more than likely find...

View more questions Search