Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megamaple Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2004, 09:09 PM
    Overgrown maple tree Help!!
    I have a gorgeous 20 yr old maple that the previous owners allowed to grow wild it has 5 trunks coming out of the ground and is approx 35 ft tall and at least 50 ft around in full bloom I must prune it down a little (just a little) all my neighbours hate it how much can I cut off at one time ?
    Can I shorten the height? I don't want to lose the shade or the privacy , and I'm afraid of killing it I can send anyone with advice pictures if they want I live in western canada(vancouver) when is the best time to prune , how is the best method , I have tools,ladders, etc I can do it I just need to know how
    Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2004, 12:43 PM
    Re: overgrown maple tree Help!!
    Maples are tough trees. They survive drastic pruning almost any time of year. Still, I would wait another month or 2 until the leaves are gone and the tree is dormant and you can see what you are doing. Unfortunately too many trees are topped leaving an unsightly, weakened tree. Be a little more selective. Instead of just cutting everything off at a certain height, go down a little further, and cut off the main branch just above where a smaller branch forks off leaving the entire smaller branch. This eliminates the unsightly stubs. The tree will then put its strength into the branch that is left rather than putting out a witch's nest of suckers. Once the leaves are off the trees, drive around and look at trees that were butchered that way and what a mess they are. The suckers are also poorly attached and suffer wind damage. It takes more thinking and more work, but you will have a more attractive, healthier tree.

If the tree also has exposed roots, you can cut them back too at the same time balancing the top and roots to maintain a healthy tree.
    megamaple Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2004, 02:00 PM
    Thanks a lot for the info I was unaware I could cut the exposed roots as well there's one nasty one sticking out of the ground

I heard however that you should prune only behind the feeders ? What are the feeders? Could you explain this to me or is it just someone talking out of nonesense many thanks again
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2004, 04:55 PM
    The feeder roots are mostly at the outer edge of the tree, and are the ones that actually absorb water and minerals from the soil. I don't quite understand that reference. I have hacked at maple and other exposed roots without ever noticing any damage. Perhaps I have never had the ambition to do enough at any one time to hurt the tree. Cutting exposed roots is hard on both you and your tools. Roots tend to have dirt and rocks around them. If your tools aren't dull to start with, they soon will be. Besides, most of them are made more for cutting vertical than horizontal. I have used a sharpened pickax. I usually just cut off the top half that actually sticks out of the ground. If you dug down and cut off several major roots completely, chances are you would damage the tree. Cut off the worst problem this fall. Next fall, take a little more off. If they grow back, cut them again.

A little more on roots: http://www.pixieforest.com/Alex%20Ke...ee%20roots.htm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

I have a red maple tree and something is eating the leaves. I need help to find out how to stop the pest and what to use to stop them

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

Maple tree roots. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I purchased a 1922 Colonial on Long Island and in the front yard, about 20 feet from the house, is a grand old maple tree. It is between the sidewalk and the curb and is tearing up part of my sidewalk and curb. I really don't want to take the tree down and I'd rather have a contractor come...

Maple tree and gourds [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has a maple tree in her front yard, probably 15 or more years old. It has these weird looking things on it. She took a piece of it to the nursery and they told her it was gourds and that bees or wasps do something to them and that they are impossible to get rid of. They are multiplying...

Tap root for maple tree [ 2 Answers ]

In my front yard I have a 30-35 foot norwegian (?) maple Tree it is planted close to my incoming water pipe As well our outgoing sewer pipe. The sewer pipe looks as though it is 3-4 feet below ground and the water pipe is 2 feet deeper . The tree trunk is 1-2 feet from the outside ...

View more questions Search