Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahamrick Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Pricing painting jobs by sq ft ?can someone explain this
    I was trying to figure out pricing by the sq ft for painting some one told me to
    Do this but I don't understand it and by doing this how much would I be charging
    By the sq ft they said to times the sq ft by 3.5 and that by .40 and that would be the price
    If anyone understands this please explain what this means thank you
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 10:49 PM

Hi, ahamrick!

I know that you've asked painting type questions before here.

Let's see what happens if you use the formula that you've been given to paint a wall of a room that's 12' x 8' and is perfectly flat, with no imperfections that need to be repaired, using a roller and applying two coats of paint and no primer or painting on the trim.

12 x 8 gives you 96 square feet.

96 x 3.5 is 336.

336 x .40 is $134.40.

Now, that's how much for only one wall that's not all that large. Because of the formula, I would think that would also include the cost of the paint. Even then, it seems to be kind of expensive.

So, I don't really think the formula is all that valid, unless it needs to be used another way that I'm not realizing and other things that I don't know that also need to be taken into consideration when using the formula.

Around where I work, that same wall would cost around $80.00 to paint, including the cost of the paint and given the same conditions for the room that I've described above.

Where is the location this painting is to be done, how many coats are to be applied and how is the paint to be applied? Also, are there any imperfections that need to be patched and/or repaired and what is the surface texture of the area to be painted, please?

Thanks!
    ahamrick Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 08:05 AM

OK this is easier if I was going to charge .50 sq ft how do I do the math ? Thank you so much for your help
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 01:44 AM

Let's say the wall area is 12' x 8'. If you're going to charge .50 cents a square foot then you would take 12 times 8 which equals 96 and then you would times that by (point) .50 which equals $48.00.

That is basically how you do the math.
    cynthiabolick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 04:19 PM

If I bid the same room it would be 12 X 8 which equals 96 sq. foot times the price per square. As I've stated before the price in the south east has been $3.50 a square for over ten years, that makes the total to do the room (according to my estimate) 96 times 3.50 which equals $336.00; I pray you haven't been bidding .50 cents a square?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 05:03 PM

I would assume you are doing the floor space for an entire room?

Since a 96 sq ft wall would be 336 dollars for one wall??

That is even a little high for the entire room in our area. It would be closer for 200 to 250 for a room ( all walls)
    cynthiabolick Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 08:41 PM
    You are correct! The price I quoted is for floor square. In my area, a small area such as 96 ft. would be done at cost. Of course you know, cost is estimated at, for example, $20.00 per man per hour, plus materials.
    j_wrightsman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 03:54 PM
    I think if you have that much trouble just doing math that you shouldn't be trying to start a business!
    j_wrightsman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 04:09 PM

I wouldn't quote someone just on square footage, because rooms with a lot of trim are much more time consuming. Instead, I suggest using a rate using square footage and linear footage (areas that need trimming). Try $.70 per square foot and $1.25 per linear foot.
    RobbieJSoper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 06:51 AM
    If you want the basic sq footage, take a tape measure and runn it across the floor wall to wall one way than across the floor wall to wall the other. Take those 2 measurements and multiply them. Take the total and mutiply by your charge per sq foot e.g.. ( $2.50 ) That total is your basic price. If it's a new home you'll have your basic sq footage and price. Trim is done by linear footage and the price you charge by the hour multiplied. The extras are added to this at the end e.g.. Cove moldings, wrap around colomns, stair cases, feature walls, fire places, extra footage on walls and garage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pricing commercial cleaning jobs [ 2 Answers ]

I am starting a commercial cleaning business and to know how to price out the different jobs that come with the business. Please help.THANKS

Painting - Pricing by the square foot [ 8 Answers ]

I've been reading some of the posts and replies regarding pricing a paint job by the square foot. I would like it if someone can help me make sense of the following scenarios, the scenarios do not include paint, patch work, textured surface and ceiling. Example 1:Room 10' X 10' room @ $.70 per...

Pricing a painting job in Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

can some one please help me I am just starting my own painting business and need help on figuring out what I should charge to paint these rooms the sizes are 12 x16 kitchen 2 bedrooms are 12 x 13 & 14 x 17 & 14x 20 living room is 14 x 17 I know there is a lot but I just need some pointers so I...

Pricing jobs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am currently thinking about starting my own office cleaning business. But I don't know how to go about pricing jobs. Has anyone got any experience or advice in that field. I would appreciate any help if you can thank you.

Pricing jobs [ 1 Answers ]

I've just about started up in business and was wondering does anybody know how to go about the pricing side for cleaning offices pubs/clubs etc I don't want to phone around any of my competitives as I find it to be nerve racking and they ask to many questions so please any help on this would be...

View more questions Search