Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pistachio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Can't reinstall Windows 98
    Hi, I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop.
    When I attempt to reinstall it says that it can't continue because there is a previous install still on the computer. I think the info might have gone onto my D drive and I don't know how to do a complete cleaning of the hard drives in
    Order to put Windows 98 back on.

Could anyone help me with this. Also, could you please give me step by step instructions on how to go about this as I'm not real familiar with it. Thanks.

Pistachio
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 05:38 AM
    HI,
    The following applies, only if you have already made a floppy boot disk. If not, you could download a generic one from the web.
    Put the floppy boot disk into the computer, then turn on the computer.

Wait until it comes up to the A:> prompt.
    We must do do an "FDISK", which will delete and re-create a DOS partition for the Full Version.

At the A:\ prompt Type: FDISK and press ENTER.
    Press ENTER to select Large Disk Support.
    Select Option 3, Delete partition or Logical DOS drive. (whatever option # this is)
    Select Extended Partion, then
    Delete Extended partition.
    Select delete Primary DOS Partition.
    Press ESC.
    Select Create Primary DOS Partition.
    Choose Yes to use maximum size.(100%)
    Press ENTER when prompted for a Volume Label.
    When Back at the FDISK Menu, select Set Active Partition.
    Press ESC on the keyboard.

Now, if you wish to format the hard drive, then:
    Re-boot and,
    At the A:> prompt, type in FORMAT C: /S
    It will look like A:>FORMAT C: /S
    (The /S will copy system files to the harddrive).
    When it finishes formatting, then go to the next steps.

Install Windows:
    Insert the install Win98/98SE install CD.
    Press the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys all at the same time. This will re-boot the computer.
    Select boot to CD-ROM.
    Press F1 to continue.
    When the Menu comes up, select Install Windows 98.
    Press the F1 Key.
    Press the F1 key again.
    If the option of installing Windows 95 or Windows 98 appears, choose the entry for installing Windows 98 and press ENTER.
    The OS installation is being prepared.
    Now, just relax, follow all the instructions presented on the screen.

You will then have to reinstall all the printer, scanners, etc, software.

If you don't have a floppy boot disk for your computer, then try this:
    Insert the Win98/98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer
    Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)
    Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk to see if it works.
    Shut down the computer; then turn it back on with the Boot Disk still in the computer.
    When a screen comes up, use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Boot with CD-ROM support". Then press Enter.
    It will show some things about the computer, and then come up to the A:> prompt.
    Now, insert a CD (any will do) into the CD-ROM.
    Wait until it "spins" and the light goes off.
    Now, at the A:> prompt, type in DIR D:
    It will now look like A:>DIR D:
    It should show all the files on the CD.
    If so, the Boot Disk is good. If NOT, repeat all the above.
    Best wishes.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 06:50 AM
    It looks like you may have 2 partitions set up on your hard drive. If you are starting all from scratch then you'll need to delete any aother partitions so you're left with just a C:. This link will give you the steps to do: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutoria...on-using-fdisk

You need to do this before you format the C: and install Win98.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstall/Reinstall... [ 2 Answers ]

First I install Coreldraw GS 12 the I decided to update it to Corel X3 but my PC begun to slow then I uninstalled the X3 and try to reinstall the CGS 12 but it won't let me it saz error in applying... :confused:

Games does not recognize additional buttons of Logitech MX500 after Windows reinstall [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a Logitech MX500 that I use from about 2 years. It always worked good and I always used its additional buttons in games. The problem started when I had to format C: and reinstall Windows. Now games like Half-Life 2 or SeriousSam 2 does not recognize my additional buttons any...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Reinstall/Repartition Win XP [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 80GB external HD. I want to copy over the complete contents of my internal HD, and then reinstall and repartition Win XP Pro. I have the Win XP CD. Can someone explain the steps I would take? I understand that I can't just copy or cut and paste my original HD contents over to the...

Reinstall [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi I need to know how I can re install comm.drv as I try to d/l games and a window pops up saying this is missing and needs to be re installed hope you can help thanks... >:(

View more questions Search