Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Britalian Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Is it possible to recover Apollo 10 Lunar Module?
    The Apollo 10 lunar module, called Snoopyis apparently in heliocentric (solar) orbit.
    Theoretically, would the only thing standing in the way of acutally intercepting and capturing the lem be knowing where it is? Does anyone like NASA actually do know where it is at any one time? Thanks!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 05:13 AM

I think the main barrier to recapturing it would be actually having a reason to do so. The module isn't causing any harm out there and it will cost millions of dollars to get it back. They normally just let the modules burn up in the Earth's atmosphere. I don't think they want to recapture it.

They probably have some idea of where it is, if not a perfect idea.
    Phil_ka9q Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 06:28 PM
    You are right, knowing where Snoopy actually is would be a major obstacle to retrieving it -- assuming we had both the motive and the money to do so. It's a VERY small object in a VERY large solar system.

Back in 2003, an object was discovered in a highly elliptical earth orbit by a telescope looking for near-earth asteroids. Had it been there previously it should have been been earlier, but wasn't. Spectroscopic analysis was consistent with titanium dioxide - white paint pigment. The consensus is that this was the spent upper stage of the Saturn V from the Apollo 12 mission, temporarily recaptured into earth orbit.

Snoopy is not necessarily in the same kind of solar orbit that would cause it to be temporarily recaptured by the earth from time to time. This makes for a much smaller needle in a much bigger haystack than Apollo 12's S-IVB stage, and I think that keeps its recovery firmly in the realm of the imagination for the time being.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

View of Moon after total lunar eclipse [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to view the moon in first-quarter phase the day after a tota1 lunar eclipse?

Lunar Cycle Fertility [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever tried the lunar cycle to help them get pregnant? It's were you use the moons rotation to try and get pregnant. I recently got a free report telling me when I should try and conceive. Does it really work?

Specified Module Could Not be Found [ 1 Answers ]

All right well, I just registered today so Im not that sure where Im really supposed to post this question at. The thing is that whenever I try to download or search the web it just gives me a similar error message that goes by "The Specified Module Could Not Be Found". For example, if I were to...

Apollo Moon Landings [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know which Apollo moon landing retrieved a camera left behind by a previous Apollo moon landing? I am interested in the bacteria that survived on the camera during the long period it remained on the moon.

View more questions Search