Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ian2003 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Wireless netgear connection - ubuntu
    I have just installed ubuntu 8.04 and am having trouble connecting wirelessly with my netgear adapter to my netgear router. It is as if I am typing the wrong password/passkey but this cannot be the case. Any ideas?
    GASouthProf Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2008, 04:26 AM
    There is not really a whole lot for us to work with in your question. Some details that might help would be models of the hardware and drivers that are installed.

Some things to help you track down the problem is to back off all the security and make sure that you can connect the two devices. Add the security to the router and see if another device can be configured to connect. Then reconfigure completely the adapter on the Ubuntu box one more time.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 3, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ian2003 View Post
    I have just installed ubuntu 8.04 and am having trouble connecting wirelessly with my netgear adapter to my netgear router. It is as if I am typing the wrong password/passkey but this cannot be the case. Any ideas?
    The wireless keys are case sensitive and you must also select the same type of encryption key. I would suggest NOT using WEP and instead, use the WPA - Personal (TKIP) encryption key. Also, if you are using hidden SSID's, they are also case sensitive.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 12:17 PM
    First off, is your wifi card/chipset visible to Ubuntu on that laptop? Do you have wireless functionality under Ubuntu?

Nov 6, 2008, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    First off, is your wifi card/chipset visible to Ubuntu on that laptop? Do you have wireless functionality under Ubuntu?
    Yes. My neighbour has an unsecured wireless router that I can connect to the net through with no problems. The best situation I have got to so far is my Icon says I am connected to my router after I have entered the password as requested. But when I open the browser the router just keeps asking for the password. I have a netgear dg834g router and a netgear wg112v2 wireless adapter.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 03:34 AM
    I would redo the network. Reset the browser, note which type of encryption you selected and what the key or passphrase is. Then try to connect the laptop using those details.

Nov 6, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GASouthProf View Post
    There is not really a whole lot for us to work with in your question. Some details that might help would be models of the hardware and drivers that are installed.

Some things to help you track down the problem is to back off of all the security and make sure that you can connect the two devices. Add the security to the router and see if another device can be configured to connect. Then reconfigure completely the adapter on the Ubuntu box one more time.
    My router is a dg834g netgear. My wireless adapter is a wg112v2 netgear. The driver is installed using windows wireless driver gui (ndiswrapper I believe). Anyway the adapter works but it seems my router doesn't like ubuntu and keeps asking for the password even though my icon says I am connected. I tried changing from wep to wap but then my icon just says it is waiting to acquire the network key but nothing asks for it.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 04:16 AM
    Is it that annoying "keyring" pop-up? I had that in my Ubuntu setup as well a while back.

Nov 6, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I would redo the network. Reset the browser, note which type of encryption you selected and what the key or passphrase is. Then try to connect the laptop using those details.
    How do I reset my browser?
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 07:11 AM
    You'll need to be connected by wired to the router in order to make chages. Do you have another computer (usually a desktop) that has a wired connection to the router?

Nov 6, 2008, 10:05 AM

Yes I have tried changing the type of passwords/encryption but I cannot get it to work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Netgear Wireless Router will not install [ 1 Answers ]

Tried installing NetGear for wireless from CD. Installation locked up (computer did not) at step 3 (Activate Network). Have tried to install .several times. Turned off firewall, no joy. Installation will not proceed passed the Activate Network step even after allowing computer to run all night....

Problems installing netgear wireless router WNR854T using CD [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install and configure my netgear wireless router without using the installation cd that came with the router? I cannot get past step 3 on the cd, it says 'restarting the network" shows the progress bar, reaches 100% then the installation hangs and freezes.

Netgear mr814 wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

I have set up my wireless router, and I cannot see it on the connections screen for my wireless laptop... I see plenty of other wireless routers, just not mine. Please help.

Laptop can't see Netgear wireless router in same room [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting excellent wireless connectivity between (XP Home) laptop and Netgear Router/modem (connected by ethernet cable to my (XP Pro) PC) between 2 floors, but have another laptop (XP Home) in same room as router, which doesn't see router/network, etc. This laptop has an Intel Pro wireless...

Use my NETGEAR WGR614 v5 Wireless router as a WAP? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so everyone said this would be easy. The kid at (insert popular electronics store here) said it would be no problem to use my already owned/unused router to set up a WAP that will connect with the other router in the house, so I can 1: hook my vonage device into my router, and 2:...

View more questions Search