Ask
    iujflin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Is my disability subject to alimony
    Is my disability subject to alimony
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 02:24 PM

Sounds like this belongs on the family law board. The answer to your question is maybe. It's impossible to answer without knowing more but suffice it to say that it could be under certain circumstances.
    Dontcare2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 03:04 PM

If you mean do you have to pay if you're on disability.. Yes but only if it was a non-modifiable court order..
    If you mean do you have to claim it. If you're talking about SSD then no it does not count as income if it's court ordered, only income from wages earned have to be claimed. Even if you win the lottery its not considered earned income.
    Now if your talking about Federal Disability that's a whole new ball game. You have to be careful with them.
    Hopes this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a judge award alimony when the only income is from a military disability? [ 4 Answers ]

My sister wants to divorce her husband because he's abusive. However, their only income comes from military disability that he receives. He's telling her that she can't get alimony from him because his government check is untouchable. Does anyone know if that's true?

Is my disability income subject to alimony? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 54 (soon to be 55) and my wife and I are divorcing after 34 years of marriage. She has told our children that she is going to "take me to the cleaners". I get 2059 from social security disability and 3300 from Prudential disability (insurance I bought and paid for with after tax dollars). ...

Social Security Disability and Alimony [ 2 Answers ]

My friend, a 55 year old male, became disabled last year after a brain stem hemorrhage. He has been unable to pay his $1700/month alimony payment since Jan. 07. I know that SSA benefits are subject to garnishment for alimony. I called SSA today and they told me there is no limit to what they can...

View more questions Search