Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steffb503 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Tenant won't leave
    I have a tenant with a month to month lease. He has not paid rent in 3 months. He has been served with 3 day notice and 30 day notice. He has since physically left, moved into hotel. But all belongings are still here. I have not gotten the keys back. How long must I wait to remove his stuff. Do I need to proceed with a court date. At this time I do not know where he is to even serve any more papers.
    Please help
    Steff
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 09:48 AM
    If you are in the states you may remove his belongings and put them in a storage facility, but you may have to have a police officer there to witness this, and you should probably make a detailed list of everything and I would include serial numbers for high-ticket items.. As far as serving him some states allow that you post the necessary court documents in a public place such as a post office as well as in the local paper for a specific amount of time. This amount differs for every locality.

Hopefully one of our rental managers, such as Rickj will respond better to your questions.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
    I would not remove his stuff. He could easily claim something is missing - or cause grief in other ways. Proceed with the court date and get the set-out order to cover your you-know-what.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 10:27 AM
    File a lawsuit for eviction. After you have obtained a judgment for possession from the court, mail a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the tenant's last known address. Make sure you put on the envelope "Forwarding and Address Correction Requested". In the letter inform the tenant that they have been evicted but that some of their property remains on the premises. Then say that they have 30 days to make arrangements to get their property. If they don't make such arrangements within 30 days then their property will be disposed of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Since you already have a court date for eviction, go ahead with it.

After you go to court they will have a officer come over and witness everything being put to the curb. ( that makes it legal and you can't get sued or accused of stealing anything)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Oops, Sorry Rick, I tried but got the spread it around again. LOL

Anyway, I knew you would correct me on this since this is what you do for a living, and you are 100% correct, I see this on People's Court all the time. Shame on me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Hello steff:

Until he is evicted, it's HIS home. You may NOT enter, nor can you dispose of his belongings. AFTER he is evicted, it's no longer his home. The eviction process will involve someone from the court or the sheriff dept. They will oversee his belongings being removed. You don't need to store them, however. Just put 'em on the street.

excon

PS> As a landlord, you should be familiar with your states landlord/tenant law - INTIMATELY familiar. After all, you wouldn't play Monopoly without knowing the rules, would you?

PPS> I forgot. You don't have to know where he lives, because you can serve him by publication. I'm sure you have a journal that posts that kind of stuff. Depending on your local court rules, you may need to publish the summons three different times.
    heidicat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
    Wow this gives them time to get mad and tear up your property! I love how the laws protect no good losers... I'm out of the rental biz for good... id rather let a friend live there for free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When to know you should leave [ 24 Answers ]

Need advice from anyone at this point.. I have been married for nine years, for seven years in the marriage my husband has been doing everything for every one but his family. He has left me so lonely that about a few years ago, I went to visit family and ran into an old friend. Yes a male...

How do I know when to leave [ 10 Answers ]

:( I have been with this man for years and I have been unhappy for about ten but I have been tiring to make it work he has no job we have a six year old son and he has been very mean to me ever since he found out I cheated but the only reason I did was one time with a old friend I knew for years...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

We want rent-free tenant to leave [ 2 Answers ]

We are a church that offered a rent-free room to a college kid several years ago in exchange for security duties. He is now an adult with a college education but without a full-time job. There is no written contract or lease, money has never been exchanged. We've been asking him to leave for five...

Should I leave him [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfreind for 4yrs. I lived with him the first 3 then he kicked me out for hearing I was cheating, which I wasn't and he knows.We have been getting along very well, but every time he gets angry with me for the smallest thing (ex. Calling him more than once when he is out with...

View more questions Search