Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    north ga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 09:43 AM
    How to stop garnishment
    Is there any way to stop a garnishment before you start having money taken out of pay check? Time I have it taken out it is only going to leave me very little and as a single mom
    Not sure how I will make it
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 31, 2008, 04:13 PM

The only way to stop this is to pay it. The only way the creditor got a writ of garnshment was through a judgement from a court. Did you get a paper with a court date? If so did you go? If you did not show up most likely the creditor got a default judgement thus giving them the right to not only garnish your pay check but attach your bank account also. What state are you in? How old is the debt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 06:40 PM

If it was properly served and if you either did not defend yourself in court or if you did and lost, there is no way to stop it, they can only take out according to state law, each state has its own rules as to how much can be taken out.
    EYEZTHATSPARKEL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 08:39 AM
    The court granted my ex husband garnishment from my check for lawyer fees... im the only one working and i can't pay my house payment,car im going to looses everything what do i do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stop wage garnishment [ 5 Answers ]

I am really angry that a credit card company has issued a wage garnishment via court order to my job of seven months, It pisses me off that this debt is five years old and they continued to charge me all kinds of late fees after several years has passed with no contact. I can't AFFORD TO HAVE 10%...

How do I stop wage garnishment [ 7 Answers ]

About 6 years ago, I lost my job and was subsequently unable to continue making even minimum payments on a credit card. It was sent to collections, and I haven't been able to keep my head above water long enough to even offer a settlement. Thursday, I received notice at work that a court had...

How do I stop Garnishment of wages [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My wages are being garnished for an unpaid dentist bill, there takeing 25% of my paycheck which comes out to about 300 to 350 a month. I have $425 a month rent, plus a lot of other bills to add to that. It makes things very tight every two weeks and I'm not sure if there is anything I can do...

How to stop a garnishment of my accounts in fla. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida today my business account was frozen along with my personal checking accounts and savings by a collection agency for UPS shipping invoices that are not mine. please help me billy

I need to know how to stop a garnishment on my account [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know how to stop a garnishment on my business checking account I live in Florida my telephone number is 352 256 4840 please email me or call me billytide at cox.net

View more questions Search