Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 31, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Should we get married?
    My girlfriend lost her job, and health insurance. If we were to get married I can add her to my insurance for $30 a month, otherwise it would cost $300 - $500 a month for her to get any kind of decent coverage. What else should we be considering before taking this step? Would we pay more taxes? We can't decide what to do and can't afford private health insurance.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 08:21 AM

Getting married just for health insurance is decetful and could be considered fraud in some circles. Sorry no you should not get married just for that!

Oct 31, 2008, 09:20 AM

Thanks for your opinion, we have been together for a long time and just never found a reason to get married as it is just a piece a paper to us, but if we can save $4000 a year in health insurance costs and no one can tell me any disadvantages to getting married that would out-weigh that, we most likely are going to do this. I don't see how it is fraud, my boss told me to do it.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 09:20 AM

He did say girlfriend, not "friend", so this isn't fraud. People in love get married for many reasons and financial security is an important one. So I don't think they're out of line to think this stuff through.

Before you can examine these financial issues... you need to be able to state with certainty some relationship facts.

1. How long have you two been dating?
    2. How old are you two?
    3. Name your top 3 "issues" with each other that you fear will make you miserable if they don't change
    4. Name your top 5 specific things about her life you admire (not her looks)
    5. Other than the med. Ins. What other problems is she experiencing you want to help her with?
    6. Any kids in picture?
    7. Do you live together now?

Oct 31, 2008, 09:38 AM

1. How long have you two been dating?
    - 8 YEARS
    2. How old are you two?
    - 36 & 38
    3. Name your top 3 "issues" with each other that you fear will make you miserable if they don't change
    -WE DON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES, GET ALONG TOGETHER PERFECTLY. WE LEAD DIFFERENT LIVES AND SEE EACH OTHER ABOUT 2 HOURS A NIGHT EXCEPT WEEKENDS
    4. Name your top 5 specific things about her life you admire (not her looks)
    - I ADMIRE HER ATHELETIC ABILITY, HER ATTITUDE AND OUTLOOK ON LIFE AND HER INTELLIGENCE.
    5. Other than the med. Ins. What other problems is she experiencing you want to help her with?
    - SHE DOESN'T HAVE A JOB BUT IS LOOKING AND WILL FIND SOMETHING, SHE DOESN'T WANT TO GO BACK TO CORPORATE AMERICA. WERE ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT SOMETHING ELSE FOR HER TO DO.
    6. Any kids in picture?
    - NO KIDS (EVER)
    7. Do you live together now?
    - YES
    Software Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 09:43 AM

Eight years is long enough. Marriage certificates are just pieces of paper, and that's not the point of marriage, is it?

When you get married, you stand up and say to the universe, "No more iffiness. We are committing to one another officially, legally, spiritually and financially. I lay may lot with this person and no matter what happens, we'll stay and work it out. I promise."

That's not the same simple thing as getting a driver's license. People try to act like it is, and it isn't.

So, eight years is long enough. If you're thinking of getting married, look at each other deep in the eyes and say, "This isn't for medical insurance, we're going to do this because we are it. I lay may lot with you forever. Let's get married."

Then do it. Mean it. Then reap the benefits... the first being medical insurance. Joy.

Oct 31, 2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks Joy. I'd still like to know what we can expect once we do this, will we pay more taxes? Anything we are not considering? It seems to make the most sense to do it.
    Software Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 10:46 AM

I meant "Joy" as in "joy comes next." My name is actually Jerry. That was funny. Hehe.

Look, the tax affect will be minimal. Some change... yes, but only a look at your entire financial picture will reveal whether you pay less or more taxes. Don't worry about it. It is what it is.

You don't measure the $$ for deciding to do this or not. You do it because it's time to do it. Then work with a tax guy to get the best possible bang for your married buck.

Oct 31, 2008, 10:50 AM

Sorry about that Jerry, that is funny. Your right of course, maybe we are thinking too much here.
    Software Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 10:58 AM

Yep. Eight years is long enough, isn't it? You two know! Look at each and happily proclaim it.

Then go out and proclaim it to everyone else, including the city and the medical insurance company. Everything that follows will be fine.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 11:24 AM

My girlfriend lost her job, and health insurance
    Have you considered her getting another job?
    JustBreath919 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Nov 4, 2008, 05:42 PM

You haven't found a reason to get married other then it might save you money. Worst reason to get married ever. Don't do it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 05:55 PM

I agree with Jerry aka Joy. ;)

If you haven't gotten married just because it's only a piece of paper, then maybe it is time.

Yes, you are considering it now because of the money issue, but I really don't think that's the only reason. Is it?

Go for it, live and love, the rest will follow. :)
    Flaminangel74 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca View Post
    My girlfriend lost her job, and health insurance. If we were to get married I can add her to my insurance for $30 a month, otherwise it would cost $300 - $500 a month for her to get any kind of decent coverage. What else should we be considering before taking this step? Would we pay more taxes? We can't decide what to do and can't afford private health insurance.
    Do not get married just for that. If you guys talked about getting married before that came up then its something else but other thent that don't do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file Married jointly or married separated [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know, that can I file jointly with my wife or married but separated. She is a Canadian citizen and she does not have a U.S. (SSN). She visits me Every 2 months and if I round up all her visits she has stayed with me More than 6 months, so can I claim her by applying for ITIN...

Can I refile my taxes from Married to married filing separtly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My husband owes taxes and we have been filing taxes Married/Jointly. But Since he owes we won't get the rebate. After I filed our 2007 taxes (I did myself) I wondered if I could have filed Married/filing separately Can I go back and refile again with Married/filing separately. We have kids. So...

I cannot answer this one for certain. (married/previously married folks may help) [ 3 Answers ]

My old college roommate asked me to weigh in on his girlfriend's angst. His girlfriends ex-husband remarried and he says she's been a bit "off" since for weeks. I said it was normal since she has kids with her Ex and now they have a new family for her to deal with etc... Anyway, he thinks...

View more questions Search