Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diamond373 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Trust is Beneficiary. Who pays the taxes on Annuity interest?
    My Mother died in 2007 and had a simple Trust. She had a total of five annuities. Two went directly to my sister and I as 50/50 beneficiaries. The other three went into the trust to maintain the home/property until it sells. My sister and I were both issued 1099-I for the money we received from the two annuities and we each paid the taxes with our 2007 IRS returns. However, suddenly two weeks ago my sister informs me that she wants to split the interest on the three annuities that are in the trust. (Trust being the beneficiary... not my sister and I) My sister and I may never see that money if the house doesn't sell in our lifetimes. There is 80K of interest... accrued over many years but, all became taxable on the event of Mom's death. My sister virtually demanded that I agree to amend my 2007 taxes to include half of the interest... and she would amend hers for the other half. She says this will save the trust because she and I are in a lower tax bracket. It seems shady to me... like a loophole that while it may be legal... it might not be moral.

And it will cost me tremendously. She paid the IRS last year. I got a sizable refund which I would lose plus interest back to the IRS. When I began asking questions of her... and of the CPA she hired... I was told that I simply needed to trust his knowledge and ignore what my own tax preparer said... or the IRS said. Without my questions answered the CPA she hired wrote me a letter telling me that I am costing the trust money as I delay my decision. Keep in mind that my sister should have filed the 2007 Trust IRS return six months ago... her delay is costing interest and penalties every day. (she is the trustee)

The IRS (800#) assured me that it is for the trust to file because they are the beneficiary... not me. My sister claims it will only be on paper... and that the trust will pay the resulting IRS bill, penalties, and interest accrued. However, she would not commit to reimbursing me for the loss of my original 2007 refund. (over $5,000) I feel intuitively that something here stinks. Because she and the CPA both were angry I'd contacted the IRS for clarification. If you've read my other post under {other law} you know that this is the same sister/trustee who fired the trust attorney and refuses to provide yearly accounting statements of her actions as trustee.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 09:46 AM
    This is NOT the place to resolve this issue, as it is MUCH too complicated to properly address here.

You need to hire your own CPA who is experienced in trust work to guide you on this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annuity taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a non-qualified annuity from my parents. Am I taxed on the interest earned on the annuity or on the full amount of the annuity?

Taxes on an inherited annuity [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away in 2005 and bequeathed his annuity to me and my sister. The funds (approximately $16,000 each) were distributed in 2006 and his estate paid the Federal and Colorado State taxes on it before my sister and I received our share. Because I deposited the entire amount into the...

Paying taxes on inherited annuity [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I were beneficiary of an annuity. I understand we pay taxes on the taxable amount listed in box 2a of the 1099. My question is... do I treat this as income adding it to myearned income and possibly raising my tax bracket, or do I pay taxes based on the earned income bracket? ...

View more questions Search