Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Wikipedia
    Is it not true that this site is basically maintained by individuals? We cannot take all of the info on this site for fact as we could an encyclopedia.

I have found many inconsistencies when looking on this website, and am able to prove it wrong.

For instance this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_bar

States that the Mars Bar is known as the Milky Way in the US. I have eaten both and have lived here all my life.

Also it states: In the United States, it is known as the Milky Way bar, which is used in other markets to refer to a different chocolate bar altogether (known as 3 Musketeers in the U.S.). There was a Mars bar in the United States, but it was discontinued in 2000.

So, what is up with this site? Is it legit or not?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Most of the time it is legit.

Sometimes there are some error in facts since it is maintained by individuals.

From my experience, I have found most of the time it is valid and correct information.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 09:28 AM
    I thought it was maintained by individuals, but was not sure.

I have found some inconsistencies while doing research for papers I have to write at school.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    States that the Mars Bar is known as the Milky Way in the US. I have eaten both and have lived here all my life.

Also it states: In the United States, it is known as the Milky Way bar, which is used in other markets to refer to a different chocolate bar altogether (known as 3 Musketeers in the U.S.). There was a Mars bar in the United States, but it was discontinued in 2000.

So, what is up with this site? Is it legit or not?
    Yeah, that chart on the Mars Bar site is wrong too, when it mentions 3 Musketeers as only being in the US. It's also here in Canada... I've eaten it off and on for years.

I think Wikipedia is generally quite accurate, but there are some inconsistencies I've noticed occasionally, too. When in doubt, I always double-check with a second source. You also have the option to change the information yourself, if you think it's wrong. I did that once on an article about schizophrenia.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 10, 2006, 11:27 AM
    I believe they are very open to correction too, if you delve further into the pages? So you candy experts better get on it! :eek:
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 11:33 AM
    What is this about?

In the United States, it is known as the Milky Way bar, which is used in other markets to refer to a different chocolate bar altogether (known as 3 Musketeers in the U.S.). There was a Mars bar in the United States, but it was discontinued in 2000.

We have all three here: Mars, Milky Way and 3 Muskateers!

How do you change the info yourself Chava?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    How do you change the info yourself Chava?
    Well first it's best to create an account (there's a link for that in the upper right-hand corner of the screen) and then sign in to your account (you actually don't need to have an account to sign in though, but it does add to your credibility). After you are signed in, you can click on any of the tiny [edit] links at the bottom right of a section. Then you are taken to an editing page where you can change anything you like. You need to have some knowledge of HTML to edit properly. There is editing help at the bottom of the edit page as well, should you need it.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jun 10, 2006, 02:49 PM
    The Mars Bar was created in 1932,in Slough,UK.
    Approximately,three Million are made in the UK every day.
    The Mars Company also owns Masterfoods,an American food company,and also makes Uncle Bens rice, Whiskers and Pedigree.
    Mars also makes M&M's, Galaxy, Snickers and Maltesers.

Also you can deep fry a mars bar,as you would chips (French Fries),and they taste disgusting!! Banana fritters are much better. :D
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 02:51 PM
    How about Deep Fried Twinkies?

Ooops, wrong thread.

Thanks for the info Nez

Uncle Bens Rice huh? Who knew?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 10, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Twinkies? Egads, those things have a shelf life of like two thousand years!! :eek:
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Yeah but fried?

-> to the weird foods. LOL
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 03:43 PM
    Wikipedia has to be pretty good, since it lists me as a major part of the Independent Catholic movement in America.

But as told yes can and does have many errors as it uses information provided by people.

But I was stll happy to get a major mention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search