Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anabelle100106 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Company refused pension after severed from company
    I was employed by a top food manufactuing company from July 23,2003 to June 30,2008. The company offered a severance package to me that included severance pay, health benefits etc. I was one month shy of hitting the 5 year mark for getting vested in my pension. I was told that they could not guarantee that I would be vested since the I was a month short and they would not have an answer for me until after I left. They said that I should get it though because when there were people outsourced the year before, they all received the pension. Some were three years short of the required five years.
    I spoke with the company that works with the pensions and they said that I would not be vested on July 23, 2008 but rather on July 1,2008. This means that I was not a month short of being vested in the pension program but rather 1 day! Needless to say, I left and they denied my pension. I was wondering if they were legally able to deny me my pension. If so, is it something that if I fought would be successful:confused :?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 04:00 PM

No easy yes or no on this, since you said they gave it to others that were short, I would say it is worth speaking to a legal expert in this field, I would interview several different attorneys on this.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 07:31 PM

Here is a short discussion on vesting:
    Vesting - @ Free Advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company Introduction Letter (B2B) for a HR services outsourcing company [ 10 Answers ]

How can I make a good company Introduction letter (B2B), for a HR outsourcing company? Please help me out with any free samples.

Sample letter of Introduction of company to company [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Team Kindly send me Sample letter of Introducing a company to other company.

Company introduction letter for audio/home theatre solution company [ 1 Answers ]

I want to introduce myself/company to one of the top interior designer. I am an individual dealing in audio / home theatre solutions. I want to an introduction letter for my company.

Finding the company that holds my pension [ 1 Answers ]

I worked at Security Trust Co, Rochester, NY for 19 yrs. In that time it went from being Security Trust to Norstar Bank to Fleet Bank/Norstar to Fleet Financial Group, and now is Bank of America. I terminated my employment 10/2/87 and I have in my possession a letter dated 11/24/87 from norstar...

Does parent company separate with subsidiaries company? [ 1 Answers ]

The rule in Salomon v Salomon was laid down at time when economic circumstances were vastly different and the principle of laissez faire ruled supreme. In the Modern day and age, parent companies should not be allowed to shelter behind wholly owned and controlled subsidiaries.Why?

View more questions Search