Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nancylee Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
    More well pressure than usual
    It seems the last couple of days my water from my well has quite a bit more pressure than usual. The little gauge outside in the cement well housing is on 80 psi and around 40 psi when the water is turned on. Could something be sticking to make it seem like more pressure? I hope the pump isn't stuck on. What about the points what do they do?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancylee View Post
    It seems the last couple of days my water from my well has quite a bit more pressure than usual. The little gauge outside in the cement well housing is on 80 psi and around 40 psi when the water is turned on. Could somthing be sticking to make it seem like more pressure? I hope the pump isn't stuck on. What about the points what do they do?

Yes the pressure switch could be "sticking". The first move I would make is to replace the pressure switch. Buy a 40/60 pressure switch. 80 psi is a little to high for most residential applications. And if you are getting up to 80 psi before pump kicks off, and down to 40 psi before pump kicks on, then you definitely have a faulty pressure switch. There should only be a 20 psi differential between cut in , and cut out.

Hope this helps and please let me know how it all works out.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2008, 04:31 AM
    What's the cut in and cut out point on your control box? Has anybody reset the inside adjustments? Regards, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 04:23 PM

Nancy, when you remove the pressure switch, be sure to take a look at the little pipe that runs into the back of the switch. I'm willing to bet that it's pretty well clogged up. And before I replaced the switch, I'd at least try setting the pressure cutin/out points, as SB suggests. This site has a very nice description of how its done... pretty simple. But don't forget about the little pipe!

How to adjust water pump pressure, pump cut-on pressure and pump cut-off pressure - private pump and well system do-it-yourself repairs
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 04:42 PM

Just glad you got it fixed. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Break, the usual [ 2 Answers ]

I've been reading these blogs and I have seen that many people and I know many people who are going through the same thing I am. Girlfriend starts college and wants a break to "firgure heself out, be alone a little while, yadda yadda yadda". I know I was suppose to let it go, but of course I didn't...

More then usual? [ 1 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex not to long ago but he pulled out before anything came out, but now my lower part is discarding more fluids then usual. It doesn’t smell or itch, it just seems to be coming out more then usual and I keep getting lightheaded. Why is this happening?

Truck using more gas than usual [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend's truck has started using a lot more gas than normal. Could it be caused by the weather becoming colder? Or are there any other things that could be causing this? There's nothing going wrong with the truck and nothing that has recently gone wrong with it. Other than needing a new...

Just dumb as usual. [ 1 Answers ]

Why did Tigger stick his head in the toilet? He was looking for Pooh! Why do mice have small balls? Not that many know how to dance. :rolleyes:

Not the usual heartache... [ 23 Answers ]

Ok, I'm new to this site so not sure how this will turn out, but here goes... My boyfriend of nearly 3 years who I loved with all my heart has kicked me out and ended it. Big deal hey? Well, yes! We'd talked about marriage, kids, the whole lot. I was with him since I was 17. I gave up my job,...

View more questions Search