Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 05:47 PM
    Dumb Laws
    Did you know that in Tennessee it is illegal to eat ice cream on the sidewalk?

In Ohio it is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday. Geez, go figure!!

Anyone else got any dumb laws?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 9, 2006, 05:57 PM
    I always thought the ones about smoking in bed were sort of off the wall, I mean I may have quit tobacco but I'd like to think I am still smoking.. .
    You know what I mean?? :rolleyes:
    Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Here's one for FL Mom.

It is illegal to sell your children.

Just remember this one!!

LOL

Here is a good one for you Kansas residents

No one may sing the alphabet on the streets at night.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Fun topic! I have a collection of silly and weird Canadian laws on my computer, that I once sent out to people in an email. I'll just cut and paste it here:

Canada's criminal code states that anyone, "offending a public place with a bad smell" is liable to two years in jail.

You cannot knowingly sell any defective merchandise to Her Majesty the Queen or her agents. If you do, you may find yourself imprisoned for up to 14 years.

Under Section 456 of Canada's Criminal Code, it is illegal to deface "current coin." This includes the burning or defacing of paper currency.

Never carry a slingshot when entering a national park within Canada's borders. Even if you don't use it, you can be fined up to $200.

It is against the law to drive a sled dog team on a sidewalk in any settlement within the borders of the Northwest Territories.

In Calgary there is a by-law that is still on the books that requires businesses within the city to provide rails for tying up horses.

If you happen upon an injured migratory bird in a Canadian national park, you are required to kill it immediately. If not, you can be fined $300.

Horses are not allowed to stand on Edmonton streets for longer than 20 minutes. This law was passed in 1920, assuring people doing business didn't loiter or stay to chat with merchants.

Street musicans must not give children balloon animals in Victoria, British Columbia.

Everyone loves to ride in a one-horse-open sleigh. On Ontario highways the horse must have two bells attached to its' harness, or two bells must be fastened to the sleigh. The fine for not obeying this law - $5.

Unless you want to face a fine of up to $25,000. you must never release a raccoon out of its' territory in the province of Ontario.

In Fort Qu' Appelle, Saskatchewan all teenagers walking down the main street must have their shoes tied.

In February 1999, a judge in Collingwood, Ontario sent a summons to a retired schoolteacher. The offence - letting the Canadian Flag snap too loudly in the wind.

One old law in British Columbia makes it illegarl to kill a sasquatch (big foot). Another in Toronto makes it illegal for pigs to run in the streets. This became law in 1834 and has never been changed.

If you live in St. John's, Newfoundland don't keep cows in your house. It's also against the law to drive cattle through the streets of St. John's after 8am.

A very serious law has been established in the Yukon to protect pets and drivers. A pet found at large within 30 metres (100 feet) of the centre of the highway brings a fine to the owner of $100. If this happens three times in one year, the fine goes up to $500. (actually I think this one is good! )

If you leave an animal in distress in Canada's Yukon, you will face six months in jail or a fine of $500.

Nova Scotia's Baby Chick Protection Act makes it illegal to sell, give or display an artificially colored chick. Doing so will bring a fine of $100 or 30 days in jail.

Margarine was banned from Canada in 1886. However, in Quebec it is illegal for margarine to be the same color as butter. For years, it was illegal in that province to have margarine in your refrigerator. It costs $100,000 per month for Quebec to produce non-butter colored margarine.

Jun 10, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Golly, I like the dog sled one. I can just picture what inebriated well that one sprung from! LOL
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Yes well you are also not allowed to drink and drive a dog sled at the same time, haha. When we went dog sledding last year just north of here, we were reminded of that fact by park officials.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Hello J_9:

I live in Washington state. I have a prescription from my doctor for medical marijuana. Under state law, THAT arrangement is perfectly legal.

However, if the feds catch me with my medicine, they'll send me to the slam for the rest of my life. Clearly, I am NOT a first time offender.

If that isn't dumb, I don't know what is.

excon
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Yes.
    Where I come from its legal to drink at 16 and legal to have sex at 18!!
    Do u get that
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2006, 08:19 PM
    The last time I was in Kansas, I did not meet anyone that knew the alphabet. My ex wife took me there to meet her cousins. When we sat down to have dinner, they served boiled chicken feet and peas. There was this little kid sitting next to me playing with his chicken feet. He would pull the tendons and make the toes constrict. Then, all of the other kids would burst out laughing, spewing milk and peas all over their guest... me. At four o'clock the next morning, while looking at that little Kansas town in my rear veiw mirror, I wondered if there were any chickens walking around out there without feet. My ex wife was running behind my car yelling something but I was too preoccupied with the question, "how far does the apple really fall from the tree?" I had to get back to LA... pronto. Back to LA, where it is illegal to dismember a chicken, unless of course it is part of a Rock & Roll stage show. Yes, away from this bizarre Kansas and back to LA, where people are normal.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 12, 2006, 08:51 PM
    In Nebraska it is still legal to hang people from a tree.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Can you hang any one you want to?

Jun 12, 2006, 09:33 PM
    All you have to do is say the stole your horse or wife or sheep.
    Which ever you prefer.

Jun 13, 2006, 06:41 PM
    I don't now but it seems like it should work that way.
    Dawn.Olson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2006, 09:34 AM
    In California:
    It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Women may not drive in a house coat.

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

Bathhouses are against the law.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Here's a fun site with lots of that stuff:
    http://www.dumblaws.com/

We Ohioans like to joke about our neighbor West Virginia
    (The tooth brush was invented in WV...If it were invented anywhere else it would be called a teeth brush :p ), so here's the odd ones for WV:

No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions.
    Explanation
    A certain type of wild onion grows in West Virginia called a "ramp". These plants are renowned for their foul odor, which can supposedly be detected from up to a mile away while being cooked.

Unmarried couple who live together and "lewdly associate" with one another may face up to a year in prison.
    Full text of the Law
    �61-8-4. Lewd and lascivious cohabitation and conduct; penalty; when persons presumed to be unmarried.

If any persons, not married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or, whether married or not, be guilty of open or gross lewdness and lasciviousness, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be fined not less than fifty dollars, and may, in the discretion of the court, be imprisoned not exceeding six months, and, upon a repetition of the offense, they shall, upon conviction, be confined in jail not less than six nor more than twelve months. In prosecutions for adultery and fornication, and for lewdly and lasciviously cohabiting together, the persons named in the indictment shall be presumed to be unmarried persons in the absence of proof to the contrary.

When a railroad passes within 1 mile of a community of 100 or more people in it, they must build a station and stop there regularly to pick up and drop off passengers.
    Any person who commits adultery shall be fined at least twenty dollars.
    Full text of the Law
    �61-8-3. Adultery and fornication; penalty.

If any person commit adultery or fornication, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be fined not less than twenty dollars.

It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.
    A tax of 1 cent is levied for every 16 and 9 ounces of coke sold in a store.
    Full text of the Law
    �11-19-2. Excise tax on bottled soft drinks, syrups and dry mixtures; disposition thereof.

For the purpose of providing revenue for the construction, maintenance and operation of a four-year school of medicine, dentistry and nursing of West Virginia University, an excise tax is hereby levied and imposed on and after midnight of the last day of June, one thousand nine hundred fifty-one, upon the sale, use, handling or distribution of all bottled soft drinks and all soft drink syrups, whether manufactured within or without this state, as follows:

(1) On each bottled soft drink, a tax of one cent on each sixteen and nine-tenths fluid ounces, or fraction thereof, or on each one-half liter, or fraction thereof contained therein.

(2) On each gallon of soft drink syrup, a tax of eighty cents, and in like ratio on each part gallon thereof, or on each four liters of soft drink syrup a tax of eighty-four cents, and in like ratio on each part four liters thereof.

(3) On each ounce by weight of dry mixture or fraction thereof used for making soft drinks, a tax of one cent or on each 28.35 grams, or fraction thereof, a tax of one cent. Any person manufacturing or producing within this state any bottled soft drink or soft drink syrup for sale within this state and any distributor, wholesale dealer or retail dealer or any other person who is the original consignee of any bottled soft drink or soft drink syrup manufactured or produced outside this state, or who brings such drinks or syrups into this state, shall be liable for the excise tax hereby imposed. The excise tax hereby imposed shall not be collected more than once in respect to any bottled soft drink or soft drink syrup manufactured, sold, used or distributed in this state. All revenue collected by the commissioner under the provisions of this article, less such costs of administration as are hereinafter provided for, shall be paid by him into a special medical school fund, which is hereby created in the state treasury, to be used solely for the construction, maintenance and operation of a four-year school of medicine, dentistry and nursing, as otherwise provided by law.

A person may be placed in jail for up to six months for making fun of someone who does not accept a challenge.
    Full text of the Law
    �61-2-24. Taunting for nonparticipation in duel; penalty.

If any person post another, or in writing or in print use any reproachful or contemptuous language to or concerning another, for not fighting a duel, or for not sending or accepting a challenge, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be confined in jail not more than six months, or fined not exceeding one hundred dollars.

It is illegal to snooze on a train.
    A person may not hold public office if he or she has ever participated in a duel.
    Full text of the Law
    �6-5-7. Disqualification by duelling.

Any citizen of this state who shall, either in or out of the state, fight a duel with deadly weapons, or send or accept a challenge so to do, or who shall act as a second, or knowingly aid or assist in such duel, shall ever thereafter be incapable of holding any office of honor, trust or profit in this state.

For each act of public swearing a person shall be fined one dollar.
    Full text of the Law
    �61-8-15. Profane swearing and drunkenness; penalty.

If any person arrived at the age of discretion profanely curse or swear or get drunk in public, he shall be fined by a justice one dollar for each offense.

According to the state constitution, it is unlawful for anyone to own a red or a black flag.
    Full text of the Law
    �61-1-6. Display of red or black flag unlawful.

It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession or to display any red or black flag, or to display any other flag, emblem, device or sign of any nature whatever, indicating sympathy with or support of ideals, institutions or forms of government, hostile, inimical or antagonistic to the form or spirit of the constitution, laws, ideals and institutions of this state or of the United States.

If you wear a hat inside a theater, you may be fined.
    Full text of the Law
    �61-6-16. Wearing hats in theaters and places of amusement; penalty.

No person attending any performance at any theater, hall or opera house, or any such building where theatrical or other performances are given, when an admission fee is charged, shall wear upon his or her head any hat, bonnet or covering for the head which may obstruct the view of any person or persons during the performance in such theater, hall, opera house or other building where such performance is given; and if any person wear upon his or her head any hat, bonnet or other covering for the head which may obstruct the view of any person or persons, and refuse or fail to remove the same at the request of any person or persons whose view may be obstructed, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be fined not less than two nor more than ten dollars.

Roadkill may be taken home for supper.
    Explanation
    In order to clean up roads not regularly maintained by the Department of Transportation, this law was passed. Not only did this law assuage the cravings of adventurours individuals looking for free meat, it lowered the cost of road maintenance as well.

Jun 15, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Unmarried couple who live together and "lewdly associate" with one another may face up to a year in prison.
    Full text of the Law
    �61-8-4. Lewd and lascivious cohabitation and conduct; penalty; when persons presumed to be unmarried.

If any persons, not married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or, whether married or not, be guilty of open or gross lewdness and lasciviousness, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be fined not less than fifty dollars, and may, in the discretion of the court, be imprisoned not exceeding six months, and, upon a repetition of the offense, they shall, upon conviction, be confined in jail not less than six nor more than twelve months. In prosecutions for adultery and fornication, and for lewdly and lasciviously cohabiting together, the persons named in the indictment shall be presumed to be unmarried persons in the absence of proof to the contrary.
    Wait. . Does that mean married couples may act lewd behind closed doors or are we presuming the one cancels out the other here?? :rolleyes:
    Expert

Jun 15, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Oh, Val, you got to check out the website www.dumblaws.com Rick posted it earlier. I have had some great laughs looking at that. And we all know I love my laughs.

Jun 15, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Wyoming is an open range state. Which means you don't have to put up fences for your livestock they can run where they want.
    But don't hit any with your car it also says the owner of the livestock can sue you for taking away from his livelihood.
    But you can't sue him at all.

My fillings about it is. If you are to lazy to put up fences get out of the business.
    It is not that hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are blondes really dumb [ 21 Answers ]

Is it ture that blondes are really dumb

Dumb question? [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone explain, by example(s) the difference(s) between a dry vent and a wet vent? Looked all over the Internet for examples... now more confused than ever.

Help me I'm dumb [ 1 Answers ]

What are some common uses for calcium carbonate?

I'm dumb... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there does anyone know the difference between GB and MB when it comes to disk space?

Dumb about men [ 1 Answers ]

What do you think of a first date with a man and both like the date & each other a lot. He calls right away about liked date & wants to go out again. He calls, again but never gets around to when 2nd date? Talks about where to go etc. Confused. Still likes me, etc. Should I give up or what? Should...

View more questions Search