Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vagentlemanroa Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Two Masters and no job?
    I got a MPA ( Master of Public Administration) while in the Navy with a concentration in Organizational Management. My MPA was taught along side the MBA program. Same classes-different course titles. Finished in 1997.

Since 2000 I went back to school to try to get some more training and in 2006 I got a Masters of Liberal Studies in Computer Studies.

My undergrad is a dual degree in Sociology and Social Science.

My question is why can't I find a good job? I am living in America. Every job wants specific bull that I do not have or some specialized crap.

The only positions I find are in advertising, marketing, Sales of some kind, Commercial Insurance, Medical Device, Not with a parts company.

I do not want a sales jobs that promises big numbers but never delivers.

Making $40,000 sucks. Do not tell me that I am not qualified for anything. Bill Gates never finished college!
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Oct 30, 2008, 02:26 PM

What do you want to do for a living?

The other part of course is, your schooling shows your potential but part of that is you need to work for someone making the 40k for a while and when you show your worth (which your schooling should help you with) you will be promoted to a more responsible position within management, etc.

I can't tell you how many engineers for instance don't end up doing engineering but rather end up in management. The same could be true for you if you would take a entry level position in a company where you can grow into something more.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 02:45 PM

I worked with a guy at Menards. We both had our degrees. It took me 2 years to find a job in my field and he had his master's and was also working there "temporarily" until he found a job in what he went to school for. It took him a couple years too. We both made it, but you got to hang in there until you find what you're looking for.
    alice1986 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Hi-
    I know how you feel , I am sure I would be freaked out as well. This is what I would suggest to you. We are in a little crisis right now and it has gotten harder and harder to find a job. My mom is a nurse and she cannot find a job ANYWHERE. She literally had to apply to like elderly homes and they don't even hire anymore. Point in fact - the great positions have been filled. Bush said one time - Oh but this year 2008 and 2009 is the worst yr for students because there are no jobs.

Every job anywhere wants you to have experience. This is what I suggest. Keep what you got . 40,000 $ then over the years it is something you can put on your resume for a next job. Trust me hun - I know it sux but there are soooo many people trying to squeeze by and I and my family are one of those people. Having only the father work for 20,000 $ and the mother can't find a job and I am working over the weekend because I am in college.

Best of luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 03:01 PM

Well honestly 40,000 is a living, and you do what you can, talk to the person making 20,000 and he will think you are "rich"

Ok, first to be honest if you have the talent, the sales jobs will make you a much higher pay than any other job you will ever get.

But I will be blunt, what did you expect, a job within social work is often with the government or working at a non profit, so those are lower paying jobs because you are working in a field you ( I would guess) wanted to be in for the satisfaction of working with or helping others.

So often yes you have to start at the bottom and work your way back up again, esp within government agenies.

And right now for example a new company was opening here, they have 30 openings, and on the first day had over 400 people lined up to apply for those jobs. So you can expect to have about 40 other people trying for that same job.

We are looking at an economy where you have to often make your opportunity.

You use your contacts and you make new ones to help you.

And of course if you need some special training go get it.

And I will even pick on your post a little bit you need to look at how you present yourself, as in your use of the words "crap" or "sucks" hardly words someone with a MBA and masters would normaly be using publicly.

So what do you do, hire a recruiting company, get them to work with you on the way you dress, how you sit at the interview, how you answer, they prep you and more.

Oct 31, 2008, 06:11 AM

Sorry for the words suck and crap.

But that is what it is-this is not a job interview.

My opinion is that American companies do not want to hire the best educated but the barely able to read and write so they can pay less.

Why hire someone with a MBA? They cost too much. Hire some college graduate, she looks hot like Barbie, and is a yes person.

What happened to hiring the creative types? HR hires only based on a profile.

To answer your answer-I have been successful in sales-also I was one of the most awarded service members in the US Navy. I had more certifications, qualifications, and medals for achievement than anyone in my paygrade.

I have always made budget. Always. I am more the geek like a Bill Gates, thinking outside of the box.

Companies now only want "yes" people or someone who can quote every sports statistics at the bar or Hooters.

I have put my life on the line for this country. I am making less now than I did 10 years ago. I have lost my house, my family, my cars, these sales "crap" positions push commission in which they know that you will not achieve.

Seems like the US is going down the toilet and I feel I am the only person who sees it. Maybe it is because I am on the bottom.

I know other vets-like Vietnam without someone spitting in your face.
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Oct 31, 2008, 06:48 AM

What state do you live in?

Oct 31, 2008, 06:59 AM

I live in Virginia.

Oct 31, 2008, 08:25 AM

The small company that hired me in July I can not complain about the way they treat me.

I am so used to being rushed at other jobs, here the environment is slower -more at ease.

No benefits-no medical I can afford for my family. When you are making $70,000 with a family of four, that is just enough to barely get by on. Then you make $40,000. After taxes is $32,000

I can not get any aid because I make too much! There is no way a family can live on $24,000 unless they live in the ghetto and sell crack to survive.

With the cost of everything on the rise, the government list of poverty needs to be realistic. They need to get rid of this "what is your gross income?" thing. Most people take home at least 30% less after insurance and the tax man.

Maybe I should become a revolutionary?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vagentlemanroa View Post
    Do not tell me that I am not qualified for anything. Bill Gates never finished college!
    Hello v:

I'm not sure you're like Bill Gates... But you COULD be. I don't know. He never worked for somebody else. He had a product he invented. He SOLD it, and then he built a very big and profitable company.

You certainly have the education. You're at the right age, at the right time, with great tools. The economy looks like it's bad, but it's a wonderful time for innovation. We are at the end of one cycle and beginning another. There's opportunity galore.

excon
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 08:50 AM
    My personal opinion is that American companies do not want to hire the best educated but the barely able to read and write so they can pay less.

Why hire someone with a MBA? They cost too much. Hire some college graduate, she looks hot like Barbie, and is a yes person

. . .Seems like the US is going down the toliet and I feel I am the only person who sees it. Maybe it is because I am on the bottom.
    You sound angry, although it's not clear why. $40,000 is hardly the bottom of the American economy, especially if you are single. If you can get such a job, take it. Meanwhile, talk to a waitress with two hungry kids and an out of work husband, trying to keep everyone going on $15,000 for full time work.

And I don't see why you are complaining about women with college degrees taking "your" jobs. It's true that women make less money than men for the same work, but I don't see how you can blame them for that. You have degrees galore, so maybe there's some other reason you aren't getting the jobs you want. (What kind of job DO you want?) Maybe when you finally get the job you think you deserve, you'll pay women the same as men, so guys like you won't be competing with people who are underpaid.

Or maybe not.

Oct 31, 2008, 09:10 AM
    I got a MPA ( Master of Public Administration) while in the Navy with a concentration in Organizational Management. My MPA was taught along side the MBA program. Same classes-different course titles. Finished in 1997.

Since 2000 I went back to school to try to get some more training and in 2006 I got a Masters of Liberal Studies in Computer Studies.

My undergrad is a dual degree in Sociology and Social Science.

My question is why can't I find a good job? I am living in America. Every job wants specific bull that I do not have or some specialized crap.

The only positions I find are in advertising, marketing, Sales of some kind, Commercial Insurance, Medical Device, Not with a parts company.

I do not want a sales jobs that promises big numbers but never delivers.

Making $40,000 sucks. Do not tell me that I am not qualified for anything. Bill Gates never finished college!

As for sales the promises big numbers that never delivers. Well a lot of that is up to you. With your background, you would want to consider consultive selling, rather than hard selling.

I don't understand why you aren't selling financial products, with an MBA, you easily could be a financial advisor of some sort. Try Edward Jones, if successful with their training they give you your own office and an administrative person so you can be selling and they do the paper work. Also, sales jobs can lead to management or to something else in the organization.

Oct 31, 2008, 09:39 AM

Look here people.

I do not know what cool aid you are drinking.

1. You would be angry too if you had two master degrees and a military background, worked hard all your life for a foreclosure, debt, and you never made any money.

2. If you are a white male-middle aged- then the sign outside should say "Need not apply".

In every corporate Amerika company I have worked-they have promoted minorities, college students from Ivy League schools, and women -with less education and qualifications.

At my job at the news paper-one of the best in the country- they refused to look at me for two different management positions because they wanted to fill those with some sort of minority!! They took an unqualified assistant and made her a department head -she was out of school for only two years! But she was gay and this company loves to promote homosexuals. They say that they are progressive and that they want to promote social change. This is a business not an experiment!

3. I am not no out of work bum or a waitress. Maybe they can afford $15,000 a year. I was out of work for almost 8 months and I made less than the waitress. I had worked for great companies, military, I had a record of success! God Bless that couple.

4. On the consultative selling. Dude get real. In most businesses there is too much competition and the economy is down. Depends on the business. I have worked high end sales for years. I have had Professional Selling Skills, Dale Cargnie, Spin Selling, and The Wedge.

Here is my qualifications:

• Over ten years of successful professional experience in: business-to-business sales, prospecting, account management, strategic management, project management, conflict resolution, budget management, team building, product/sales training, and negotiations with high level executives.
    • A high-energy, self-motivated, organized self-starter with the ability to develop, coordinates, and establishes efficient, highly productive sales strategies, plans & teams.
    • Skilled at all levels of sales process, particular strengths in closing the sale, and building rapport with clients. Completed the Achieve Global Professional Selling Skills, SPIN, and The Wedge courses. Expert in the consultative sales approach to clients.
    • Leadership: managed personnel both in the U.S. Navy, PepsiCo, and Acordia.
    • Proven ability to quickly research, learn, and apply complex technical, legal, and scientific knowledge/concepts.
    • Strong work ethic, as demonstrated through consistently high average daily calls, effective communication, over-achieving quotas, and service to a large account base.
    • Experienced broker and insurance professional that has worked with middle to large accounts in Virginia in the commercial insurance markets arena with millions of dollars of premium at risk.
    • Proficiency with Macintosh and Windows platforms, Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and Publisher, Microsoft MapPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Scarborough market research software, UNIX database software, and ACT database systems.
    • Graduate study in Public Administration and Organizational Management. Current graduate education at Hollins University focused in Computer Studies, Leadership, and Liberal Arts.
    • Medical Device Account Manager over Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee territory.
    • Experienced in all aspects of marketing and advertising from both the sales prospective and one of an advertiser. Expert in building brand and expanding markets.
    • Expert in international business relations and sales in overseeing expansion into new markets.
    • Numerous training certificates including U.S. Naval Tech Training, Well Fargo Banking and Securities, and Liberty Mutual.
    * Expert in many aspects of Human Resources from benefits, recruitment, training, rules and regulations, documentation, personnel files, pay, advancement, studies, and re-organization to make the business more effective and the workers more productive.
    * Experienced in running personnel and admin offices in the US Navy especially of a warship command and squadron on active duty.
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 10:14 AM

I can see you that education and raise you. I am educated too, I've never made big bucks either, and I've worked really hard.

So what? I'm still better off than a lot of people. Try to appreciate what you have. In all that time in those great jobs, you must have saved some money by now and got some good experiences. Not everybody has that.

They took an unqualified assistant and made her a department head -she was out of school for only two years! But she was gay and this company loves to promote homosexuals. They say that they are progressive and that they want to promote social change. This is a business not an experiment!
    It's their business! They can hire whomever they want. Maybe they didn't like you or thought she'd do a better job despite your degrees? As you pointed out, Bill Gates has no degrees and obviously didn't need them. Or maybe, you are right they just couldn't afford you and hired someone they could pay less who would do 85% of what you would have. That's a business decision.

Writers run into that all the time. I won't work for low pay either and so I turn down jobs that would pay virtually nothing per hour. I even complain to other writers about how little some publishers are willing to pay. Some writers in the 1930s could earn enough on a magazine article to buy a house. Now you are lucky if you can buy a bag of groceries. But a pity fest doesn't pay the gas bill.

In the last few years, the rich have gotten far richer and more people are fabulously rich. Meanwhile, everyone else is doing much worse. But don't blame the least well paid people around you.

Instead, look at who benefits from what's been happening. They are 99% white males. They are just the OTHER white males, not you, not a lot of perfectly decent guys like you. If you insist on identifying as a white male, instead of a person who is having problems getting work, blame your own "kind." They are the ones who control most of the wealth in this country. (And yes, you can find exceptions to that. But basically it's true.) The reality is that you have more in common with the people you are so mad at--women, gays, minorities-- than the people whose decisions put you where you are.

Oct 31, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Look here people.

I do not know what cool aid you are drinking.

1. You would be angry too if you had two master degrees and a military background, worked hard all your life for a foreclosure, debt, and you never made any money.

2. If you are a white male-middle aged- then the sign outside should say "Need not apply".

In every corporate Amerika company I have worked-they have promoted minorities, college students from Ivy League schools, and women -with less education and qualifications.

At my job at the news paper-one of the best in the country- they refused to look at me for two different management positions because they wanted to fill those with some sort of minority!!! They took an unqualified assistant and made her a department head -she was out of school for only two years! But she was gay and this company loves to promote homosexuals. They say that they are progressive and that they want to promote social change. This is a business not an experiment!

3. I am not no out of work bum or a waitress. Maybe they can afford $15,000 a year. I was out of work for almost 8 months and I made less than the waitress. I had worked for great companies, military, I had a record of success!! God Bless that couple.

4. On the consultative selling. Dude get real. In most businesses there is too much competition and the economy is down. Depends on the business. I have worked high end sales for years. I have had Professional Selling Skills, Dale Cargnie, Spin Selling, and The Wedge.

Here is my qualifications:

• Over ten years of successful professional experience in: business-to-business sales, prospecting, account management, strategic management, project management, conflict resolution, budget management, team building, product/sales training, and negotiations with high level executives.
    • A high-energy, self-motivated, organized self-starter with the ability to develop, coordinates, and establishes efficient, highly productive sales strategies, plans & teams.
    • Skilled at all levels of sales process, particular strengths in closing the sale, and building rapport with clients. Completed the Achieve Global Professional Selling Skills, SPIN, and The Wedge courses. Expert in the consultative sales approach to clients.
    • Leadership: managed personnel both in the U.S. Navy, PepsiCo, and Acordia.
    • Proven ability to quickly research, learn, and apply complex technical, legal, and scientific knowledge/concepts.
    • Strong work ethic, as demonstrated through consistently high average daily calls, effective communication, over-achieving quotas, and service to a large account base.
    • Experienced broker and insurance professional that has worked with middle to large accounts in Virginia in the commercial insurance markets arena with millions of dollars of premium at risk.
    • Proficiency with Macintosh and Windows platforms, Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and Publisher, Microsoft MapPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Scarborough market research software, UNIX database software, and ACT database systems.
    • Graduate study in Public Administration and Organizational Management. Current graduate education at Hollins University focused in Computer Studies, Leadership, and Liberal Arts.
    • Medical Device Account Manager over Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee territory.
    • Experienced in all aspects of marketing and advertising from both the sales prospective and one of an advertiser. Expert in building brand and expanding markets.
    • Expert in international business relations and sales in overseeing expansion into new markets.
    • Numerous training certificates including U.S. Naval Tech Training, Well Fargo Banking and Securities, and Liberty Mutual.
    * Expert in many aspects of Human Resources from benefits, recruitment, training, rules and regulations, documentation, personnel files, pay, advancement, studies, and re-organization to make the business more effective and the workers more productive.
    * Experienced in running personnel and admin offices in the US Navy especially of a warship command and squadron on active duty.
    Dude, I had no idea; sorry. With all those skill sets surely you know what is keeping you from getting the job you want. I don't buy that it's minority hirings EVERYWHERE that keep you from getting what you want. Also, by now you must have received feedback from friends or employers that help you understand why you are in the stituation you perceive you are in.

How are your social skills? How do you interview? Is your resume tailored to the job you are seeking so you don't overwhelm them? Have you gone to a headhunter and tried to get them to place you?

I would really seek professional help on trying to find the right fit for you if you haven't already.

We are trying to help, because you asked for help on this forum, or are you really here just to vent, if so, that's OK too.
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post
    DI would really seek professional help on trying to find the right fit for you if you haven't already.

We are trying to help, because you asked for help on this forum, or are you really here just to vent, if so, that's ok too.
    I agree. Vagentleman, try to figure out what's holding you back now--age, angry attitude coming through in interviews? If you are in your 50s, many companies will look for someone younger.

Venting is great. But some of us might vent back. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Hello again, v:

Well, my qualifications are: I'm an exconvict.. I couldn't get a job either... We ain't too different, you and me.

But, the software market didn't care whether Bill Gates finished college. It didn't care that I was an exconvict, and it's not going to care much about you.

I made a fortune, and am looking to do it again. What's holding you back?

excon

Oct 31, 2008, 10:51 AM

I can get interviews, I can get jobs offers- every insurance company or 100% scam artist out there trying to get me to work for free.

One main reason has been for those upper level positions I am suited for- they run a credit check. I have bad credit.

Having bad credit is worse than being an ex-con. I am sure the ex-con did not get a job on Wall Street.

I am saying that the system is corrupt. There are no great jobs out there. My internet businesses have been all miss.

It takes money to make money. This ain't no info-commercial for buying property with no money down.

To get a business you got to have capital or great credit. I have neither.

My goal is working for a good paying job for a number of years and moving up in the company.

Oct 31, 2008, 11:00 AM

Lets not use Bill Gates as an example. The guy came from a rich family -He went one year to Harvard- Only the elite or rich go to a school like that. I know people right out of college with a BA or BS from an Ivy League school get $100,000 a year. I get $40,000.

A friend of mine worked for a big company similar to TBoPrice. He was hard working and had a degree in Economics. Worked in the mail room then the credit department making $24,000 a year in 1995. They would hire Ivy League fresh graduates pay them $80,000 a year, give them an office, a BMW, and their own spot in the corporate garage.

Not one wants to admit that the system in America is not free market or has opportunity.

It is all luck or someday your number comes up. I do not believe in fate -actually making your own way but most people can not handle being knocked to the ground over an over.

There comes a time when you feel postal. We are being raped by Corporate Amerika and the Elite.

A company can hire whoever they want- but they can no discriminate. You can not tell the employees that a job that they are qualified for is vacant for two years because they only want a "Diversity Candidate" which mean no white boys apply.

That is the truth.

Give me a job making at least $70,000 a year and I will shut the hell up!

Oct 31, 2008, 11:02 AM
    The end this blog I will say this:

You will never have anything if you continue to not buck the system and say yes and yes all the time.

I will paint myself black, cut off my penis, and become a black female. Become gay and anti-Christian.

Then I will be where I want to be. I have seen it here in Virginia.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial Aid (Masters) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a bachelors degree in a non-scientific field. I want to get accepted into a Masters program that requires several science courses for acceptance. Is anyone aware of any type of financial aid that may be available for me to take these courses (about 5 classes plus labs). I have had...

Why masters? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the benefits of doing masters in design?

Scholarship for masters [ 1 Answers ]

I did my bachelor of commerce degree and I am intending to go for masters(mba) in human resources management, I want to know where can I get scholarship as I don't have a good financial position to sponsor myself. I am from the least developed countries. Also which universities offer such a...

View more questions Search