Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sosily Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Networking 2 Computers
    I am trying to network my two computer. Both are running XP. One is hooked directly to internet and other is wireless. They both connect to internet. The problem is I can't share files. I have told both computers to share files, but still can't share. What am I doing wrong.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 31, 2008, 08:08 AM

You will have to set up security to the shares that you have created.

If you have added a group to your shares for permissions such as Administrators, then the user on one PC will have to be made a member of that group on the other PC. This will have to be performed on both PC's.

For the sake of argument, we will say that you have a user named JOE on both PC's and the PC's are named ONE and TWO.

Add ONE\JOE as a member of the ADMINISTRATORS group on PC TWO. Then add user TWO\JOE as a member of the ADMINISTRATORS group on PC ONE.

Assuming that the ADMINISTRATORS group on each PC has Full Control permissions to the share on each PC and that the same group can also read/write files to the folders that are shared, the user name JOE on one PC will inherit these permissions on the other PC because it is a member of the ADMINISTRATORS group.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Colleges for Masters in computers or networking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! This is kosha here. I have completed my B.E(computers) and would like to take up masters in networking. But my problem is I can't find colleges in india which offer masters in networking. Can anyone tell me about the college or if not which college shd I join my masters in computer. I am an...

Networking two older Computers with a new Laptop [ 6 Answers ]

I have two older computers running Windows 98 and they are networked together through dual Coax and Ethernet Network cards using the Coax option. I also have a new laptop running Windows Vista Business Edition this is linked to broadband via a Linksys WRT 300N Wireless Broadband Router. Can the...

Networking two computers [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, Can anyone please let me know how I need to go about networking two laptop computers that are housed in two different places? Both are Toshiba. Thanks.

Computers & networking [ 1 Answers ]

What is FOSS?

Networking [ 1 Answers ]

Describe how you would go about setting up a "star" networkof 5 machines and discuss what would be better and why having one machine as a file server or no file server.

View more questions Search