Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jun 9, 2006, 03:03 PM
    No more support for Windows 98,or ME
    Microsoft is phasing out support for the older operating systems. Windows 98 was released in June 1998, Second Edition followed a year later, and Millennium Edition came out in 2000. Microsoft has been providing fixes for only "critical" flaws the past couple of years and is ending support altogether next month, after its planned July 11 patch release. Windows XP with Service Pack 1 reaches its end of support on Oct. 10, 2006.

(c) News.com-June 9th,2006.

http://news.com.com/No+fix+for+criti...l?tag=nefd.top

Just thought I'd advise people who may still use Win 98,or ME.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades for those of us who have windows ME?
    dmeeu Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Upgrade to XP Home. It's quick, easy and it preserves your programs and settings. I would make sure I have at least 256 me of ram. 512 is better.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 10, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Do I have to clear out the ME or just put in the XP disk and everything will be overrided?

Jun 11, 2006, 04:36 AM
    You can.My advice is to read Paul Thurratts excellent site:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._9xupgrade.asp

Here you can read how to save your existing files from ME,if you want to,or simply override everything,and install XP "over-the-top".

Remember though,as the software will tell you,once XP has been installed,you will have to activate with Microsoft,in order to receive updates for your new OS.You will have 30 days to do this.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 04:45 AM
    Hi,
    Good information for Win98/98SE users.
    If you have 98/98SE; all your updates will be under the pathway:
    C:\Windows\Windows Update Setup files.
    If you have to re-format anytime after Microsoft stops their security patch support, burn the above path to a CD-R, or save it on another media.
    After reintstalling 98/98SE, then copy the files back to the same path.
    You can also save some of the updates, that are allowed to be saved, under a path, such as C:\Windows Upate Patches, or somewhere else that can be used again.; if it's an .exe file.
    Best wishes.

Jul 11, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Microsoft shuts down Windows 98

Well,today's the day.You have been informed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5164450.stm

"If Microsoft sees a Win9x attack in the wild in the next few months, we would not be surprised if they issued a fix."
    --Michael Silver, research vp of client platforms, Gartner. (c) News.com,11th,July,06
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2006, 06:22 AM
    R.I.P

Or in pieces ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Support [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am the sole managing conservator of my son. I've been in and out of court on enforcement issues concerning visitation. We always come to an agreement or arrangement. Out of all these times I am suppositly in contempt she has not once made a physical appearance to try and pick...

Windows Me "Help and Support" [ 8 Answers ]

I can't get the Help and Support working in my Windows Me. Page opens but when I click on sub topic e.g Index under Fix a problem or More resources, a blank page opens. Can you please help to get this fix.

Help and support [ 1 Answers ]

When I click on help and support , nothing happens, help and support is RUNNING, checked this out first,also I cannot get SYSTEM RSTORE to work,, any help will be appreciated sapper

View more questions Search