Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thisgirlk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
    CA HOA - Can I serve on the board as a leasing tenant?
    I currently rent a condo from the owner of the unit under a Home Owner's Association. We have option to buy in our lease contract.

I'd like to know if I am able to serve on the board, by proxy at least for the time being. I'd also like to know, if at a minimum, I can vote by proxy, etc.

I have full support from my landlord but neither of us are very versed in the rules on this.

Thanks,

Kristen
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 12:03 PM
    You have to carefully read the by-laws of the HOA. Whether you can vote or serve on the board in your current capacity should be stated in there.
    thisgirlk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 12:21 PM

So my next question would be about the bylaws, CC&R's, and the CA civil code.
    I have the CA civil code, but where can I get the bylaws and the CC&R's? I heard that you have to be in escrow to get the CC&R's, which I might be able to obtain from my landlord. But is there anyway I can get them from the city or HOA governing body?

And also, are bylaws and CC&R's the same thing?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisgirlk View Post
    So my next question would be about the bylaws, CC&R's, and the CA civil code.
    I have the CA civil code, but where can I get the bylaws and the CC&R's? I heard that you have to be in escrow to get the CC&R's, which I might be able to obtain from my landlord. But is there anyway I can get them from the city or HOA governing body?
    Your landlord should have them. It's unlikely that the city would have them. The HOA will have them but they will probably charge you a fee for a copy.

And also, are bylaws and CC&R's the same thing?
    No. The CC&R's tell you what the HOA is allowed to do. The by-laws tell you how the HOA is to be run.
    John WA Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2008, 01:08 PM
    The home owner as a member of that HOA should have the right to ask for and get a copy of the CC&Rs, then get them to you.

You can then read them and find the answers to your questions.

As a tenant, he probably should have attached a copy of those CC&Rs to you when you first rented and signed a lease agreement, but if not, between the 2 of you, you should be able to get them now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

How do I serve if deported? [ 1 Answers ]

If my husband was deported I am wondering how is it possible to serve him notice. I know u guys said I should get an attorney but the truth is that I can not afford one. Especially with all of the court fees I will be incurring already. Please help! I am in love and want to marry the person I am...

When to serve a 30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

Im in California and I had an original 1 year lease that changed after the 1st year to a month to month lease. I am moving out and am serving my landlord a 30 day notice. My question is am I able to serve this on any day of the month, say on the 7th of November, in which I would be out on the...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

View more questions Search