Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ralph116 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 04:28 AM
    Furnace burners fail to start
    I have a Trane XE90 propane furnace. The ignitor glows but the gas does not get to the
    Ignitor without a little positive air movement toward the ignitor. Is this a gas pressure problem or is the gas orifice blocked? Or something else? If is is the orifice, is it removable and cleanable without removing the entire assembly? The orifice looks like it could be unscrewed.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Is this a gas pressure problem

Could be and you need a special tool called a manometer

or is the gas orifice blocked

Could be restricted

Could be the gas burner flame jumper clogged.

Here is the best advice I can give you

Propane is a very nasty gas to have delayed ignition with. Propane is not forgiving like natural gas.

Now with that said there are many possibilitys that can cause this problem and unless you know what you are doing you can get hurt real quick. What you described is not a normal condition and problem and needs to be serviced ON SITE by a true professional.

I voice my concern since propane is heavier than air and puddles in the furnace and then spills to the floor. If it lights off it can go BOOM or just catch fire and either way it is a good possibility you or a family member can be hurt. Please call for professional ON SITE service. In this case it is not worth the few bucks you might save by trying to fix it yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fail to start Windows from MS DOS [ 8 Answers ]

This problem concerns an Aptiva machine(serial 90-OH-133). By accident I clicked the MS-DOS icon in "My Computer" and of course it opend in MS-DOS and then would not let me return to Windows 98. No matter what coding I put in front of the DOS promt it failed. I have been at the...

Iducer motor fail on Carrier 58MVP furnace [ 7 Answers ]

The variable speed inducer motor does not start at all. I have replaced the motor and control board. Is there a reset or programming that has to be done? Is there something else that could be causing this? I ran the equipment test mode and inducer failed to reach speed is the only error I get.

Oil Heater Doesn't start w/no fail light. [ 1 Answers ]

Oil heater not starting two weeks ago. Replaced R8184G because it was receiving 115VAC but not starting. I could push relay to make position and heater would cycle but not run again. No error light again. Worked for a week and a half after replacing and now does the same thing? In the...

Gas furnace burners won't ignite [ 4 Answers ]

17 year old gas furnace... burners won't ignite. What are the logical troubleshooting steps to solve this problem?

Airtemp furnace burners do not come on [ 4 Answers ]

I have an old Airtemp furnace that has a problem. When I turned it on the first time this season the burners would not light. The pilot light ignites and then I hear a click (assume gas valve should open) to supply gas to burners but no joy.:confused: The pilot then goes out for a couple of...

View more questions Search