Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Red-z Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 11:46 AM

The furnace is natural gas. The old one is still working as we speak undamaged. It appears too risky to guess at the orifice and flame characteristic even with a photo if I send one. Maybe I should just leave it alone.

What's the risk of continuing to use a 30 yr old pilot burner?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 01:13 PM
    What's the risk of continuing to use a 30 yr old pilot burner?

None

Nov 7, 2008, 01:25 PM

Then, I think I'm done. Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated.

Nov 7, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Glad you got it going. Stay warm.

Nov 12, 2008, 01:53 PM

Do you think I should replace the limit switch with a universal replacement? Its 30 years old. The insertion length is 10-3/16"

Nov 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
    If the limit is defective replace with the same basic temperature cutoff.

Nov 12, 2008, 04:29 PM

How can I tell if it is defective?

Nov 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Test it and see when it operates. Then look on the furnace for the operating temps. You just asked if you should replace it cause it was 30 years old. I guess it must be working since you were only going to replace it because of age.

Nov 12, 2008, 06:21 PM

Its working. I was just thinking of preventive maintenance.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Red, I'm sorry if I missed the post on these 5 pages, but did you ever get the proper rotation blower wheel or are you running the wrong one backwards? Because of the blower housing design, running the wrong wheel in the right direction still won't be as efficient as the proper wheel. You will get turbulance at the blower outlet. I think that would have been the first fix I tried before increasing the blower speed.

Nov 13, 2008, 09:24 PM

Missouri:
    I bought a ccw wheel and was shipped a cw. I reversed the motor rotation.

If I understand you correctly, by reversing the motor rotation you're saying that I am going against the design of the blower housing, and won't get the proper cfm. Is this correct?
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Yes. You have diminished air flow because of this, how diminished would depend on the blower output design... the more open the output of the blower, the less the effect would be.

Nov 14, 2008, 08:37 AM

I would agree with you, except that the blower housing is symmetrical, typically u-shaped from the side view, but rectangular at the top interface with the inlet. So there are no indications from the housing design that air blowing cw or ccw would make any differences as long as it passes upward over the heat tubes.
    What do you think?
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
    If your description is accurate, then I tend to agree with you. If blower housing design doesn't dictate the air flow direction, you are correct. Duly noted.

Nov 14, 2008, 03:32 PM

My take is the replacement blower has less blower blade surface area and so it is not "paddling" as much CFM as the original.

Thanks anyway. I'm always open to ideas.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
    That's probably accurate. And if the blower wheel doesn't fill the opening completely, there is an issue with turbulance at the edges of the wheel.

Nov 15, 2008, 10:14 AM

The blower wheel is the same width as the original, but the diameter is 1/2" larger. I couldn't find an exact universal fit.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-z View Post
    I've rebalanced the ducts. The net result so far is I've lost some blowing power with the new blower wheel. It has 12.5% less blade surface area than the original. If I need more blower power I may need to replace the new electric motor (1075rpm) with a high speed motor (1625rpm).
    I would be very careful of replacing blower motor with a higher RPM motor,, the fast it blows the cooler the needed air will be by the time it gets to your living area

Nov 16, 2008, 10:06 AM

It was deliberate. The air was too hot at the register. I've replace the motor and it's now ranging between 100-120 F.

But I will have to see how it performs at the coldest day in January.

Thanks for the thought.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Nov 16, 2008, 10:11 AM

I would be most concerned about the life span of the blower motor. If the blower motor is not sized to the blower wheel you can cause the motor to over amp which can lead to failure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace not blowing hot air [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I am visiting my uncle and his natural gas furnace is not working for forced air heating. There is hot water in the house, but I cannot get heat. I replaced the thermostat and can't even get the blower to operate in ON, never mind AUTO. He says it has been very temperamental lately where...

Furnace not blowing hot air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a intertherm Central Electric furnace Model FEW-015H Voltage supply 240 volts Heating output 53,000BTUH Appliance No.F000551240.It is only throwing out warm air.It run all of the time to heat the trailer up.Before husband died it threw out hot air and took no time to warm trailer up.

Furnace Not blowing hot air [ 4 Answers ]

I have a bryant furnace. The outside unit is making a clicking and kind of buzzing noise, seems like the fan wants to start but does not start up. The inside unit will start up and heat up but the blower never turns on. It is like it is waiting for something, and it never happens. Any advice would...

Furnace not blowing. [ 5 Answers ]

Please HELP!! I am a single mother of 2 and I have a problem. My thermostate is set at 72 degrees. The house temp is at 71 and the sound of the burner can be heard as if the furnace will kick out hot air any minute. Yet, the fan does not come on and start blowing air through the vents. What...

Furnace fan keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

Carrier Furnace. My furnace blower stays on after shutdown. Keep getting a code 33 which says flame rollout switch is open. How do I bypass them or tell if they are bad? Had control board replaced afew months ago. If I let the system sit a couple of hours, it will usually reset. Please help.

View more questions Search