Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Exitexchange1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 6

Oct 29, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Lawyers trying to collect a default CC from 5 years ago
    I opened a credit card in 1999 and was young & dumb and didn't pay it. In April of 2003 they sent it to collections with 30% interest. So a balance of $1,900 is now $3,000. The lawyer just sent me a letter in October 2008 that the debt is now due and owing. This is the first time that they have ever contacted me about this debt. Can they wait that long to collect? Its been over 5 years.
    Stephieee Posts: 34, Reputation: 7

Oct 29, 2008, 03:59 PM

Depends. What state were you in when you opened the cc account?
    Exitexchange1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 6

Oct 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
    I opened a credit card in 1999 and was young & dumb and didn't pay it. In April of 2003 they sent it to collections with 30% interest. So a balance of $1,900 is now $3,000. The lawyer just sent me a letter in October 2008 that the debt is now due and owing. This is the first time that they have ever contacted me about this debt. Can they wait that long to collect? Its been over 5 years. (In the state of Oregon)
    Stephieee Posts: 34, Reputation: 7

Oct 29, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Oregon's statute of limitations is 6 yrs, so yes, they can collect it until 6 years after the last payment.

As for the interest and attorneys fees, they can really add up. My suggestion is to just completely ignore them- don't answer your phone. If they file a suit, then ask for the cardholder agreement with your signature on it. If they don't have that, they have no proof. Period.

Finally, if they have sued you and are able to produce the signed document, attempt to settle with them. Start with the original amount owed (the 1300 or whatever). They bought that debt from the credit card co. for mere pennies- you'd be surprised at how low they'll settle.

It worked for me in Maryland- a good website to check out is www.budhibbs.com- it'll answer pretty much any quesiton you have about the whole process.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 06:39 PM

Sorry but yes they may, Also many collection firms will still use an attorney and sue even if it is outside the legal period, hoping you will not show up in court and they win automatically without having to prove anything.

But you need to try and work out a payment plan with them
    NASCAR_Devil Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 05:36 AM

When was the last time you made a payment? Stephieee is right. SOL starts with the date of last payment so you might actually be out of statute. Unless you live in WI or MS, an unpaid debt is collectible util the sun goes supernova but if it is out of SOL and in the hands of a junk debt buyer, I wouldn't pay them a penny.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to Collect after 7 years(Ontario, Canada) [ 1 Answers ]

I just received a phone call from a collection agency wanting me to pay a debt from over seven years ago. Is this valid and what are my rights? They have never notified me in writing and I received this phone call in my place of employment?

Can I collect interest on a loan that is in default? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter's best friend (past tense) mom borrowed $700.00 from me with a verbal agreement to pay me every two weeks until the loan was paid off. She started paying as agreed one payment and then I had to call her for other payments. I collected in total $300.00 from her. She stopped answering...

What can I do about a credit compnay trying to collect a debt that is over 10+ years [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and recently received a letter from a credit agency stating I owe $220 from a verizon bill from 10 years ago. I never was contacted prior to this. I disputed the charge and was told it was a valid charge from GTE/verizon. Do I have to Pay? What are my options? Please help....

How soon can lawyers sue me [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, yesterday I received a call from attorney's office yelling at me that I need to pay the amount of 10,000 dollars by today evening or we will sue the next morning. I explained them that I need at least two weeks time so I can barrow from a friend or...

Bk lawyers [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all: I have a question regarding bankruptsy: I got divorced last September and won a property settlement judgement in the amount of $9000.00 my lawyer garnished her wages and I received 1 payment for $375.00. Then I received a bankruptsy notice that she has filed bankruptsy and she is...

View more questions Search