Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bteag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2003, 01:06 AM
    Liability for abortion complications
    Hello. A woman has an abortion. Afterward she has an infection which forces her to be taken to the hospital. She now owes $2500 in doctor bills, and is threatening to sue the baby's father for these bills. Is there any liability on the part of the baby's father, assuming that they are not married?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2003, 10:24 AM
    Liability for abortion complications
    Good morning, I work at a abortion clinic. If this woman is going to sue some one I think the clinic holds liability as well as the father. The father was the cause of her going to the clinic in the first place and the clinic is responsible for her medical condition. Good luck and God Bless. Tom
    jakea222 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 08:20 PM
    The clinic cannot be sued due to infection. If that were the case every hospital and doc in the world would be sued silly and we would have no where to go - I know I worked in a med center for 10 yrs and the things we were getting hit with were most of the time blame for things that probably would have happened anyway... now the father that put her in the situation to begin with - well, you might lean that way. The important thing is that you are OK now I hope. I know money is hard to come by for un foreseen things like medical, but it is worth it in the long run - also if you are "making a reasonable attempt at payment" they cannot turn you over to collection agent - it can be 5$ a month... fyi
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Sep 23, 2007, 06:32 PM
    The father is 100% not liable for an infection suffered during an abortion. But I would be absolutely delighted to hear some of the "legal theories" you guys think you could go with.

Jake is partially right. Suing a medical provider for an infection is a VERY tough case, but one that can be won in the right circumstances. The problem is that an infection is a known and accepted risk to having surgery, so the only way you would be able to receover in a suit is if you somehow showed that the provider unreasonably exposed you to a risk of infection beyond that which normally takes place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Still no period after abortion [ 3 Answers ]

If I had THE abortion on May 5, 2006 and I started my birth control pills on that Sunday may 7, 2006 It is now July 1, 2006 shouldn't I have a period by now I am finished with my second pack of pills.today.I took a test like two three days ago but it said negative... what going on

Don Marquis, Abortion, Potentiality Principle [ 3 Answers ]

The question I am trying to answer is whether Don Marquis' argument against abortion is simply a restatement of the potentiality principle. I don't think it is because Marquis does not appeal to personhood. But, WHY is it important that Marquis doesn't appeal to personhood?

Complications of whole cell pertussis vaccination [ 1 Answers ]

What are the complications of whole cell pertusis vaccination in 15 year old teenager?

Abortion could I be pregnant again [ 2 Answers ]

I am 21 years old and I had an abortion on May 5, 2006.. I started my birth control pill on Sunday May 7, 2006.. but sometimes I forget to take the pill and I end up taking like two in one day.. I have had sex like 10+ times on the day I missed my pill and on days I take the pill.. but I did not...

Abortion and abuse in society [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. I have an assignment on abortion. I want to kown the moral views. And I need some information on the types of abuse in the family or on society as a whole. THANK YOU.

View more questions Search