Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anonymous Yahoo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 10:32 AM
    HIPAA regarding nonmedical info
    OK here's a HIPAA question.
    Say you are a person with a physical disability. You have healthcare at least 18 hours a day. So maybe work for an hour and there are regular people. You tell some of them some private thing not necessarily the same things about yourself they say they will keep private. Not necessarily medically related.
    Now I would assume that none of that should be talked about with any other care worker that comes or doesn't come to work with that person with a disability? For instance tranngender preference. Now if that care worker is uncomfortable I assume it should only go to their supervisor or owner of company or to person with a disability that shared the info. And I it would assume a conversation with the supervisor or owner of company would be in private from any other employee it may also have the info. Or want to also expressed concern to the supervisor or owner of company.
    Or also about a person telling the person with a disability they heard talking.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2008, 10:48 AM

I didn't follow that.

Generally HIPAA states that a health care provider cannot discuss diagnosis or treatment of someone under their care (directly ot indirectly) with anyone not expressly authorized to have that information.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 10:50 AM

Let me see if I understand... a person with a disability shared some confidential information with a health care worker. And that health care worker in turn passed that information on to others. Is that right? As long as the information is not about a patient's medical condition then there's no HIPAA violation.

Oct 29, 2008, 11:17 AM
    What about invasion of privacy laws?
    Or what about the case some Hollywood Star stated at a hospitable and coworkers at at the hospital for sharing info and they were in trouble with the law and everything.
    So anything anyone says can be talked about with any one is long as it isn't medical. How professional.

Oct 29, 2008, 12:30 PM

What invasion of privacy laws? There are very few laws governing that. There are ethics rules for certain industries that inhibit such things. But part of the issue is up to the person. If they don't want something spreads then don't tell people you don't trust.

Oct 29, 2008, 12:47 PM
    And if you trusted that person. Isn't there something as defaming or something like that.

No wonder people with disabilities feel alone. Some of us only get to see Health Care workers.

Oct 29, 2008, 04:12 PM

Betrayal of trust is not illegal
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 07:16 PM

No, it is not illegal for a person to gossip about non medical things,
    It may break some company rule, that they could be wrote up and a note put in their file.

But a persons sexual orientation has no protection from being discussed.

Oct 30, 2008, 09:37 AM
    So it has to be only things pertaining to medical. Like if the person was a counselor or something like that? Or what about if there is a diagnosis like gender Disforia (excuse spelling) which hasn't been diagnosed.
    Or how about something relating to people with disabilities like a diagnosis of transitional disorder. Which basically means having problems with adjusting to different parts of disabilities and such and such. But I am propagating to medical.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 06:36 PM

Pretty much anybody can say whatever they want about another person it is not slander unless it is not true. Not much you can do unless you suffer financial loss from what is said.
    HIPPA confidentiality is medical/psychiatric professions can not give out any medical information of any kind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa law [ 3 Answers ]

I work at a company that stores medical records for a large hospital. They owe payment us for several months of service. Can I discontinue servicing their account until I get payment without breaking any hipaa laws ? Please advise.

Is This phi in HIPAA? [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my name and address is on my prescription bottles isn't this PHI?

Hipaa law [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 part question regarding Hipaa law. First, let me give you the necessary background information. My husband and I are separated (not legally) and we reside in California. We are both in law enforcement, my husband being a supervisor and me being line staff. My husband is in charge of...

Hipaa law [ 11 Answers ]

Can a pharmacy give out info on you to law inforcement without you being notified?

View more questions Search