Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrivero83 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Othello quotation
    "Iam not bound to that all slaves are free to".Can you help me understand the meaning of this? This is a phrase Iago says when he is addressing Othello. Thanks! :)
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 07:06 AM

To lure Othello into jealousy, Iago intimates he has certain thoughts about Desdemona and Cassio, but doesn't say what those thoughts are. Othello demands to know what Iago is thinking, and Iago responds, "Good my lord, pardon me: / Though I am bound to every act of duty, / I am not bound to that all slaves are free to" (3.3.133-135). Iago's point is that even slaves don't have to give an account of what they are thinking. He goes on to say that he could be mistaken in his thoughts, and that if he spoke them, he might ruin someone's reputation, because,

Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands:
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed (3.3.157-161)

Near the end of the same scene, when Othello has fallen into a rage of jealousy, he exclaims about Cassio, O, that the slave had forty thousand lives! / One is too poor, too weak for my revenge" (3.3.442-443). [Scene Summary]
    Othello Navigator: Themes: Slaves

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where to place punctuation - inside or outside quotation marks [ 13 Answers ]

In the sentence: When meeting someone, you should say, "Nice to meet you" Where do I put the period, inside or outside the end quotation marks? Same with a comma, where do I place the punctuation after a quote - like: When someone says, "Nice to meet you" you should reply with the same.

Common Quotation, Uncommon Source [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for a movie where a female character is either quoting from Macbeth or practicing lines from Macbeth and I remember she says "She should have died hereafter. /There would have been a time for such a word. /Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow" It's haunting me. It might...

Stock quotation [ 1 Answers ]

The last column in a stock quotation in the newspapers shows the net change between what?

View more questions Search