Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momoftwingles2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 03:01 AM
    VERY LOUD CRACKING noises in our 58 year old home
    We live in a 58 year old ranch style home that is on a full basement. This past year we've been noticing EXTREMELY LOUD cracking noises within our walls. Sometimes they are so loud at night that they wake me up. The noises are real... our girls have even heard them and have asked why the walls are so loud.

Our home was renovated about 10 years ago and we have wall paneling up so we can not actually see the walls behind them... only hear them.

Any thoughts on what the noises are?:confused:

Thanks!
    momoftwingles2
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 04:50 AM

Have your home inspected as soon as possible as you should not have loud noises coming from the walls. This could be a number of things such as termites having eaten through some of the wood inside the wall and the floor going to give way or who knows what else. You need to fully investigate these loud wall noises before you have an entire room fall into the basement or worse! It could also be the roof falling in on a room as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old house with cracking noises [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a 56 year old house with a walk out basement that has lots of sunlight. Four years ago I have done some work on this old house, changed regular doors with metal French Doors, and changed the location of the stairs leading to the basement. Lately, we can hear loud noises coming from the...

Cracking noises, 28 year old house [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in my 28 year old house since it was built. The settling noises stopped at least 18 years ago. About 3 years ago loud cracking noises started, that sound like they are coming from the ceiling or attic. The house is a single story built on a concrete slab. About 14 years ago we had new...

Loud Popping Type Noises [ 3 Answers ]

We recently build a new house. During the night really loud popping noises start coming from the attic, so loud that they awake me, it can to me be quite frightening. Is it the timber expanding and contracting that makes up the roof?

Loud cracking noise under ceramic tiles on concrete slab floor. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida and my home was built in 1994. Last night I was woken up by a very loud cracking noise under my floor tiles in the laundry room off the garage. None of the tiles broke,but now when I walk on them it sounds like there is loose mortar underneath them. My question is... what...

View more questions Search