Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paully Wogg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Statute of Limitations in Ontario, Canada
    Is there a statute of limitations on the criminal charges of obstruction and mischief. Waiting now for 1 and a half years to appear in Ontario Criminal Court. Also if found guilty is this a type of criminal record that would prevent me from traveling.
    I thank you in advance.
    P
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Hello Paully:

I don't know about Canada, but here in the US if you've been charged, the statute of limitations stops running. If you failed to appear in court, a warrant would have been issued and it would last forever.

So, I don't know what you're waiting for. Have they just not scheduled it? Are they still investigating? Do you have a lawyer??

Yes, if you're found guilty of a criminal offense, you will have a criminal record. Will it prevent you from traveling?? It sure will.

excon
    Paully Wogg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Paully:

I dunno about Canada, but here in the US if you've been charged, the statute of limitations stops running. If you failed to appear in court, a warrant would have been issued and it would last forever.

So, I dunno what you're waiting for. Have they just not scheduled it? Are they still investigating? Do you have a lawyer???

Yes, if you're found guilty of a criminal offense, you will have a criminal record. Will it prevent you from traveling??? It sure will.

excon
    Yes I have a Lawyer and court date is scheduled. I just thought that since more than a year has passed charges might be dropped. The charges are over a very minor situation.
    Thank you again.
    P
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2008, 06:59 AM

I understand what you are asking, it is true that sometimes if a case takes an extremely long time to get to court and the charges are minor they could be dropped. How far away is your next court date? Your lawyer would be best to ask his opinion and like anything else even it time passes doesn't mean the charges will be dropped, anything can happen.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Hello again, Paully:

Here in the US, we have a "speedy trial" law, that most defendants waive because it's in their interest to delay the trial as long as possible...

If a defendant DIDN'T waive his right to a speedy trial, he can have the charges dropped. If Canada has the same kind of law, and you DIDN'T waive your rights, then you too, might be able to have the charges dropped due to that.

A quick call to your lawyer would answer that for you.

excon
    freshoutlook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2010, 12:07 AM
    A criminal record in canada, depending on how serious, will only limit your travel to a few countries, only one I know of for sure being the US. I have a record, and quite a long one at that, and I've been to many places without incedent(aside from one time in japan when I checked the ''yes'' box when asked if I had a record, so never do that lol, they can't check, though most entry cards don't ask anyway). Thailand, Mexico, Japan, England and the Netherlands to name a few, and headed to australia soon too as well as some more of S.E.A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations in the Province of Ontario, Canada [ 14 Answers ]

What is the Statute of Limitations in the Province of Ontario, Canada, regarding the launching of a civil suit for property damage and what must be done to interrupt such limitation?

Statute of Limitations - Ontario [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, This is in reference to a consumer debt by the way. I have read that the Ontartio sTatute law was modified Such that any debt as of jan 1 2004 was "sue-able" within 2 years , any debt before that was "sue-able" for up to 6 years. Is that correct? Also, assuming I encounted a debt in Sept...

Statute of Limitations Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I have a credit card that I have stopped paying two years ago. But I was not in Ontario during the last two years. Does the SOL apply to my situation or does the SOL start over again when I return to Ontario,Canada. Please advise. The credit card is old but the payments were stopped in 2005. ...

What is the Statute of limitations in Ontario, Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the Statute of limitations in Ontario, Canada when a lawyer makes an error in a Real Estate transaction which causes their client to lose money? When I purchased a piece of property back in the 1974’s, the electric, the hydro power and water required an easement to go through another...

New vs. Old Statute of Limitations in Ontario [ 1 Answers ]

If a credit card issued in the 1990's goes into arrears sometime after Jan 1/04, does the new SOL or the old SOL in Ontario apply? For further clarification, as of Jan 1/04, there was debt owing on the card but it was not in arrears at that time. Thanks!

View more questions Search